Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Croup

(8 Posts)
missy111 Tue 07-Mar-17 18:23:12

My 3yr old LB has croup again. He has had it 4 times this winter already. He had dexamethasone yesterday afternoon, and improved, however the bark is back :-(
Has anyone got any suggestions? He has just been put on a brown inhaler and montelukast to see if they help.
If this episode follows previous patterns, we will end up in A&E due the asthma attacks that follow night time coughing fits

abc12345 Tue 07-Mar-17 18:34:30

We used to end up in a & e several times a year with my son... until we bought a humidifier and turned it on full blast in his bedroom when he had any sign of cough or cold. They are about £40 in Argos.
Things that help too are; heating off, window open, take outside in cold air, steam from shower

I hope that helps. They do grow out of it in the end!

missy111 Tue 07-Mar-17 19:18:00

Thanks. I have dispatched DH to Argos on his way home! Hope it helps, I am at the willing to try anything stage!

abc12345 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:47:24

I hope it helps. Croup is scary.

My son grew out of it about 5.. a dr once told me that kids that are prone to croup have small airways (that get inflamed with coughs/colds) and as they grow their airways grow and it stops being an issue. (I hope that makes sense)

abc12345 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:48:44

Oh and it's always worse between 12 and 4am because they relax and the airways relax. That's why it always seems to happen at night

JammyGeorge Tue 07-Mar-17 23:26:40

Ds2 suffers terribly from croup. We sit on the doorstep in our pj's with a blanket round us until the noise dies down. We find cold air more effective than steam but to be honest we rarely have a bout that doesn't need A&E at some point.

He's 4.5 and has only had 2 bad bouts this winter I'm hoping he's starting to grow out of it. Fingers crossed next winter you'll see the frequency come down as well.

missy111 Wed 08-Mar-17 06:56:30

W

missy111 Wed 08-Mar-17 06:58:49

Wow! The humidifier really worked!!! Instead of the predicted A&E, he slept from 9.30-6!
Thank you so much!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now