Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby poo frequency

(5 Posts)
kivvi Sun 05-Mar-17 15:47:16

My baby is nearly 6 months old and I feel like she poos All.The.Time. As in - I changed her nappy 5 times last night between 2am and 7:30am. And the other day (night) she needed 7 nappy changes between 11pm and 6:30am. Daytimes are similar. I don't mind changing her as often as necessary, of course, but the sleep disruption is getting to me. I would like to start night weaning her sometime soon, but that obviously isn't going to happen if we are up changing her all night long. Basically I change her nappy and then just as we get settled again and I'm dropping off to sleep, she poos again. I've tried leaving her for 10 mins or so after I hear the poo to see if there's more coming, but then I'm worried I'll fall asleep and leave her with a dirty nappy!

The poos are often small and for the last couple of weeks have often been kind of green (sorry if TMI). She is BF but we started solids about 2 weeks ago - but she's only had tiny amounts of pureed fruit and veggies, so I don't think that's what's causing the green colour. I also don't think it's the dreaded foremilk-hindmilk imbalance because I just let her feed for as long as she likes on each side, and also haven't changed anything recently about the way I've been feeding her. I'm not too worried about the green as she is a very happy and healthy kid - but I wondered if there is a way to encourage her to poo less often!? (Can't believe I just wrote that - the things that sleep deprivation drives us to do...)

Phalarope Sun 05-Mar-17 18:47:34

Mine pooed like this. Bit less at night, but at every feed and several more thrown in. I don't remember ever changing a wet nappy, because there'd be a poo in there first. It's exhausting.

Night weaning might help - I think the sucking at the top end encourages the bottom end to get going too.

If she doesn't get sore, could you slather her in cream and just change her once or twice in the night, so you get some sleep?

Er, the bad news is it didn't really slow down until potty training. Sorry.

kivvi Sun 05-Mar-17 22:04:19

Thanks. Better to know what we might be in for, I guess! She is a bit red atm so prob need to keep changing her every time, unfortunately, but good to know that night weaning might help.

Phalarope Tue 07-Mar-17 20:29:42

It just occurred to me, and you're probably all over this, but....checking you have baby nightgowns for nighttime changes, and aren't wrestling with anything involving poppers or legs at 3am... this sort of job

Juveniledelinquent Tue 07-Mar-17 20:30:27

Sounds completely normal to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now