Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Slapped Cheek = cancel operation?

(5 Posts)
lemonchello Wed 01-Mar-17 20:39:37

My 7yr old is due to have his adenoids out next Monday finally after months of waiting.

Tonight I notice he has a rash, we all have slapped cheek and so does most of the school so it's definitely that. He's not unwell at all, a had tummy ache which is a symptom about a week ago but it absolutely fine now. Apparently it's not contagious once the rash comes out. It's not to bad and you have to look hard to see it. I'm very reluctant to mention it to anyone but does anyone know if it would be cause to cancel his operation?

Springsummer2017 Thu 02-Mar-17 05:32:00

Dont mention It too them until you see the surgeon pre-op - It should be better by Monday anyway. Make sure you practise very good hygiene going into the hospital tho. I don't know if they'll cancel or not (I'm assuming not) but you don't want to loose this appointment by an overzealous booking person or nurse if you ring up now.

blackteaplease Thu 02-Mar-17 05:37:26

If it definitely isn't contagious I would go in to hospital as planned. It will be the anaethetist that will decide whether to go ahead or not. Ds1 got turned away from an op due to a heavy cold once and another child the same day with a temperature. So it really comes down to what the symptoms are and how they could interact with the anaesthetic.

AnoiseAnnoysanOyster Thu 02-Mar-17 11:44:45

Tell them when you see the anaesthetist, if he's ill though don't take him in. The anaesthetist will decide on the day. If they cancel you'll be given a new date by the secretary through the post.

lemonchello Thu 02-Mar-17 22:05:09

I called the ward today and they looked into it. They said it's safe to come onto the ward as he's no longer contagious and to tell anyone who is pregnant and has come in contact with us that they may be at risk. So it looks like slapped cheek won't be stopping the operation. Now keeping everything crossed that there will be a bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now