Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

To visit gp or not?

(5 Posts)
SourBubblegum Mon 27-Feb-17 22:34:36

Hi everyone,
I need some advice! I've been contemplating taking my DS to see the gp for the last 3/4 weeks now, and I'm not sure if I should or not..

For the last 4/5 months he has slowly decreased the amount of food he is eating, and for the last 1/2 months he has been refusing his dinner. I am aware that toddlers go through the fussy eating stage, and I convinced myself this was the reason. If I was to offer him crisps and chocolate, I know he'd eat it! He is underweight for his age, which he always has been - being premature, but it is becoming concerning now. He is teething, molars are coming through, so has red rosy checks now and again (not all the time). Also rubbing on his ears a lot, which he does when he is teething. The last week he has developed a slight cough, which isn't really affecting him. He hasn't had a temperature at all. He has a sort of bunged up nose, however it sounds like he has a fluid built up (not mucus), rather than a blocked nose. The sound it really confusing me. I'm pretty sure the cough, and bunged up nose is just the result of a cold? I'm really not trusting my instinct at the moment, and I don't want to waste the time of a gp with the NHS being so strained as it is! It's usually a 2 week wait for an appointment. Would you take your toddler to the gp, or am I completely over thinking? Will the gp laugh at me? Or am I neglecting my DS that I've left it this long!!? I've never doubted my instinct before.. Help!!

Thank you x

Twopeapods Mon 27-Feb-17 22:53:57

Take him to the GP and tell them exactly what you have said here. If he is losing weight that is concerning.
My GP told me to never hesitate to take in young ones when they are not right.

flumpsnlumpsnstuff Mon 27-Feb-17 23:04:45

Take him to the GP, they would prefer to see 20 kids with colds than 1 with something more serious that mum didn't feel was worth their time. Always trust your gut on this .

SourBubblegum Mon 27-Feb-17 23:31:05

Thank you two and flumps, I think I just needed someone to tell me I'm not over reacting! I'm going to call the gp in the morning, and ask to see a doctor this week. Thanks again flowers

HCantThinkOfAUsername Mon 27-Feb-17 23:44:20

Trust your instincts, I'm the same and always get paranoid what the GP thinks but they would rather see a child either way if you've a concern.
Hope it goes ok flowers

(Ds2 9 months gets regular ear infections I've put down to teething as no temp and it's turned out ear infection so better safe than sorry)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now