Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has really heavy periods - can anything be done?

(14 Posts)
paganmolloy Mon 27-Feb-17 11:28:12

I have a feeling it is beginning to curtail her life a bit as she suffers with bad cramps too. She doesn't make too much of a fuss but on Day 1/2 it's super plus tampons and pads and it'll still leak. Usually leaks during the night too.

She's only 13 and started a couple of years ago and it's just crap that she's having to deal with this so young. I'd heard that sometimes they are put on the pill though I have mixed feelings about that because of the long term affects (niece had mini strokes age 30 and it was a possible factor). Any suggestions welcome.

Heirhelp Mon 27-Feb-17 11:30:26

The best option would be to discuss this with your GP.

eHospital2 Mon 27-Feb-17 15:27:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

caremummy Wed 01-Mar-17 17:52:31

I suffer from similar problems as do many of my family. Seeing the GP is a v gd idea - Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid really helped me in reg to this. Also, could affect iron levels so might need checking.

Nan0second Wed 01-Mar-17 17:55:34

A low dose pill can also be really helpful at this age. Talk to your GP (ideally one interested in women's health).
(Obs and gynae doc)

hairypaws Wed 01-Mar-17 18:10:19

My DD is 14 and has been on the pill for 2 years, it's changed her life. You should seriously reconsider and ask her what she thinks about it. There is absolutely no need to suffer.

paganmolloy Thu 02-Mar-17 15:28:33

Thankyou! I will check it out with her.

moobeana Fri 03-Mar-17 13:21:06

Talk to gp and get referred to gynae if needs be. This was me as a teenager and the following helped:

- painkillers and hot water bottles. Make sure she knows how to address any pain she is in.

- iron tablets, get her iron levels checked regularly. My go did mine every three months and prescribed iron as necessary.

- spare clothes at school. I had so many leak incidents and teachers used to shout at us for having jumpers tied round waists. So eventually I asked a friendly female teacher if I could leave spare clothes in her classroom cupboard. It was a real lifesaver for me.

- transexamic acid and mefenamic acid often help. Sadly not for me, but for many it does.

- the pill - made such a difference, but I was made to wait until I was 18. (Family hormonal cancer issues)

- finally I have heard others mention diarydoll pants. They are meant to be great for leaking periods.

I wish you and your dd all the very best, I gave bad hideous periods for my whole life, but the school years were the worst, simply because management is harder then. But hopefully some of this will help.

PollytheDolly Fri 03-Mar-17 13:26:00

I know the pill is great for this but please research the side effects.

Hope you get it sorted, poor girl. flowers

SquidgeyMidgey Wed 08-Mar-17 21:06:25

I went on the pill at 14 for heavy periods and it changed my life. The only side effect was that my boobs went from AA to E in about 6 months blush

paganmolloy Fri 21-Jul-17 12:28:56

Bumping this old thread. So DD was prescribed the pill (Rigevidon) and told to take it then allow one period to see how she got on then go back to doc for further prescription. She did this and her period was worse than ever so doc said that she should just keep taking it continually and perhaps come off it every three months to allow bleeding so she doesn't have leaks when she doesn't want them.
It's about 3 weeks on now and she has had a few leaks already, has put on weight and hers skin is suffering from outbreaks of spots she never had before.
I'm wondering if we should give it a bit longer to see if it settles or if we should try another pill. It's supposed to stop the bleeding and associated pmt and belatedness but she is saying she still suffers from the latter too. I could cry for her. She's only 13 and shouldn't have to deal with all this shite at such a young age, it's hard enough. Would appreciate any tips, suggestions, experience anything.

moobeana Fri 21-Jul-17 20:00:15

Go back to go and request a different pill - I was put on Yasmin as I wasn't responding properly to cheaper ones. It is allegedly a no side effects pill.
I also couldn't run packets together, my normal cycle was too strong apparently.

But push hard for a gynae referral.

user1471134011 Fri 21-Jul-17 20:03:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

123rd Fri 21-Jul-17 20:07:55

Poor DD. Defo push for another pill. I was prescribed Yasmin by my gynae consultant as I had horrendous periods. All was fine until 8 months ago when gp refused it anymore because £££...has tried 2 cheaper ones but they don't suit me. I'm so cross.
It's really not fair on yr DD. She shouldn't have to put up with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now