Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about my thirsty son

(43 Posts)
Notjustuser1458393875 Sun 26-Feb-17 21:57:07

Maybe I should put this on the diabetes board but there doesn't seem to be much traffic.

My son is 4 and for the past week or so has been complaining of very frequent thirst. It's not like him really. He doesn't drink enormous quantities but he asks for water often, and today he woke us up to ask for a drink and went to bed after drinking two cups down in succession.

I am aware that unusual thirst can be a symptom of diabetes but also that it is usually excessive, and I don't think he's drinking enormous quantities. He's been keen for early bed recently too but has been getting up early, and I don't think he has any other symptoms.

I am taking him to the GP but I wondered whether any other posters have had 'thirsty' children and whether there are any other possible causes?

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Sun 26-Feb-17 22:01:58

Does he have any other symptoms at all? One of my daughters is your sons age and has to be tested fairly regularly as she gets very thirsty etc but we have Type 1 in both mine and her Dads family.
I don't really have any advice other than to get him to the GP for tests and be aware of other symptoms to look for xflowers

Notjustuser1458393875 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:09:02

I don't think he fits any other symptoms, no, although this thirst is quite new in itself. His appetite is always a bit up and down and he's on the skinny side but I don't think either is worse than normal.

Notjustuser1458393875 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:09:35

I hope your daughter stays nice and healthy, if thirsty!

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sun 26-Feb-17 22:28:17

Is he weeing a lot? Does he seem to have lost weight? My son didn't ever drink much. I knew something was up when we went shopping and he started begging for a drink when we got out of the car, we had to find a loo and he was very tired. We had two incodence of wet beds.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sun 26-Feb-17 22:29:35

If he feels sick and gets a bad headache alongside the thirst and weeing and chronic tiredness then get him to hosp.

GruffaloPants Sun 26-Feb-17 22:43:49

When are you going to the GP? If it isn't Monday, I'd call them for advice.

I'm diabetic, thirst was my first symptom, followed by tiredness. By the time other symptoms started emerging I was dangerously ill. I was an adult - don't hesitate to get your son checked out,

Notjustuser1458393875 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:49:11

I'm going to make an appointment for tomorrow. Thanks, all, for the advice. At the moment the thirst is the only really striking thing. He is the most sugar-crazed of my children which worries me, even though I know there's no link to T1. (While passionate in his desires, his actual intake is limited.)

BarbarianMum Mon 27-Feb-17 12:58:40

Just popping in to say yes- straight to the doctor for a blood test (which hopefully you've done by now).

If not T1 then look at things like is he overheating at night.

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:08:01

Well, I went to the GP and he's been referred for blood tests. But the GP talked utter rubbish so it was a bit frustrating. I guess the blood results are what matters. It worries me though that GPs can be so wrong about diabetes.

BarbarianMum Mon 27-Feb-17 13:14:59

I don't want to worry you but when is he due to have this blood test? I'm not quite clear why the GP didn't do it then and there (did he test his urine) but if he has T1 then he could deteriorate very quickly. If the thirst is on going and if the GP didn't inspire confidence and if you have to wait days then I would strongly consider a second opinion/a&e (and I never say that).

Ilovewillow Mon 27-Feb-17 13:34:17

My son presented these symptoms last yr as well as seeing a lot. Our GP did a prick test and sent him straight to the hospital for tests as she was sure he was diabetic. They did a lot of tests at the hospital and could find nothing and suggested it was just a "phase". It does seem to have been. My point is that they took it very seriously and didn't delay so please either make sure they refer quickly or I would call 111. Hope it turns out to be nothing.

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:09:58

GP said he was too little to do blood tests there, or a prick test, so they need to be done at the hospital, and be fasting, so we'll take him tomorrow. No urine test. He fell asleep in the car both ways on the journey to the GP this morning which is a bit weird, but otherwise is chirpy enough.

I've got a BGM and a few test strips lying around from when I had GD so I might see if I can get a reading from him tonight on that.

sleepy16 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:29:52

My daughter was tested at 3 (by skin prick test) because she had infections in both of her feet which the doctor said was common in undiagnosed diabetes.
Luckily it wasn't, I really can not under why the doctor couldnt do the same at your sons age.

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:32:40

She was a big crap really. She said things like it was unlikely he has T1 because they'd normal have diagnosed it by his age. hmm

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:33:35

Ha. Bit crap not big crap.

Sandsnake Mon 27-Feb-17 14:43:08

Wow, that's bollocks! T1 can develop much later than four and people are regularly well
into childhood before they are diagnosed - DH was 10. I'd be quite worried about the GP's lack of knowledge (as you obviously are). Hope all goes well with the blood test OP and fingers crossed that your DS is just going through a phase.

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:46:06

Thanks. She also told me that almost everyone with T1 inherits it from a parent and laughed when I said I have an HBA1C annually after having GD because of my raised risk of T2 as 'that seems completely unnecessary'.

Hopefully he will be fine but if the results are bad then I will be going elsewhere in the group practice!

Skatingonthinice16 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:53:48

Really?? That's not good.
My dad is type 1 and so am I but prior to my dad there was no one else with diabetes and I know a number of type 1s with no link to a family member who has diabetes.
It is believed genetics is only part of what causes diabetes. They don't really know... there are other factors too.

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:54:45

I knew more just from reading the Diabetes UK website.

PuntCuffin Mon 27-Feb-17 15:12:03

I had a boyfriend who I diagnosed with T1 diabetes in his early 30s which is unusually late but not completely unheard of. He wouldn't believe me (I'm a mere vet, how would I recognise it hmm) until he collapsed and ended up really, really ill. So age 4 is well within range.

In his case, there were no family members who had it, but he had been really stressed with work, which probably triggered an autoimmune response.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Mon 27-Feb-17 18:38:42

It amazes me how badly informed some doctors are. My son was eight when diagnosed. T1 is an autoimmune condition and he'd had a really horrible virus. Yes, there is a genetic predisposition in the family but the virus attacked his pancreas or rather his immune system did.

Could it be that your son is fighting off a bug. That would result in thirst and tiredness. The day my son was doagnosed, he had bloods of 30 yet was full of bounce and beans although had been poorly with sickness and headache the night before.

Notjustuser1458393875 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:11:03

There's scarlet fever at his nursery so I'm hoping that's possible.

I jabbed the poor boy with, ironically, promises of chocolate only to find that my monitor isn't working. So it remains a mystery and I'm now having unwelcome flashbacks to eternal BG testing. Fingers crossed we don't have to revisit those days.

MollyHuaCha Tue 28-Feb-17 09:10:11

Poor little boy. Hope you get answers soon smile

GruffaloPants Tue 28-Feb-17 17:48:40

I hope things go well tomorrow. Sorry to hear your GP talked such utter rubbish. I'd consider writing to the practice manager if and when you have the energy. I'm amazed a GP could be so ignorant.

Freestyle make a meter that uses a sensor on the skin to test blood sugar - no finger pricks needed. I don't have one myself as you have to pay for the sensors but I'd get one for a child. Worth keeping in one just in case it turns out he does have T1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now