Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds - strange symptoms

(6 Posts)
foursthescore Sat 25-Feb-17 19:46:00

I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas about what could be wrong with my ds.

He's 6, mostly healthy though on the thin side. Pretty active.

For about a year now, he's had "bouts" of odd symptoms. He'll clear his throat constantly and make these weird gasping noises. He also has horrific wind during these bouts. It's awful, very sulphuric, he did one in the swimming pool changing room one time which was so bad a little girl started crying. During an episode of this, he seems generally well. He has a good appetite, and doesn't complain about illness or pain, except occasional stomach pain.

In between these episodes he is fine. The throat clearing goes right down, though doesn't disappear completely, and his wind is not offensive.

His diet doesn't change.

Does anyone have any idea? I'm taking him to the doctor next week.

Juveniledelinquent Sat 25-Feb-17 19:48:02

Could it be acid reflux?

foursthescore Sat 25-Feb-17 19:49:23

What would cause that in a child so young? Perhaps something he eats?

thehoundschicken Sat 25-Feb-17 19:52:14

Acid reflux sounds like my son has it and had those symptoms took us ages to work out somehow specially the smell. he was used to it hard for him to describe but eventually he told us tasted like sick in his mouth. He is now on omeprazole

BarbarianMum Sun 26-Feb-17 00:58:20

Acid reflux. Second the vote for omeprozole. Might be worth keeping a food diary to see if you can spot a cause. It might be worth asking to have his iron levels checked if he's on the thin side (anaemia can suggest other gut issues).

foursthescore Sun 26-Feb-17 14:33:59

Thank you. Hopefully the dr will agree and we can start omperazole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now