Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Playing football with braces - mouth guard?

(4 Posts)
tactum Sat 25-Feb-17 12:19:20

Son had a top fixed brace fitted this week. Being an absolute superstar and all going well

Due to play football this weekend and I forgot to ask if he needs to wear a mouth guard. Does he?? Googling tells me he should but is that just being ultra cautious?

In reality do kids bother? Can't recall seeing a mouth guard on a football pitch. Did yours?

Tia

Bleu2 Sat 25-Feb-17 23:46:06

Absolutely yes!
Custom made is preferable but anything mouldable from a sports shop is better than nothing.

troodiedoo Sat 25-Feb-17 23:49:56

I don't know about football needing gum shield, you'd be best asking his coach. But if you do, with a brace it must be a custom made one from dentist, please don't use a boil and bite one from sports direct.

Bleu2 Sun 26-Feb-17 11:07:41

Any contact sport requires a gum shield.
You definitely can use a generic one (from a sports shop) in the interim while a custom one is constructed by his general dentist.
Over the course of my career I've re-implanted many children's avulsed incisors ( am a dentist-hospital). Without exception, all those kids where this had happened during contact sports, had not been wearing any sort of gum shield.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now