Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My son.. enlarged lymph nodes other symptoms

(16 Posts)
Northy1987 Fri 24-Feb-17 09:51:00

Please bare with me this is long. I appreciate anyone that takes the time to read this all the way through. And any advice is also greatly appreciated.

My son is 7. Since November 2016 he has had one enlarged tonsil on the left and swollen lymph nodes on the same side of his neck. After a few appointments a referral to ENT was made for a tonsillectomy. (Our appointment is at the end of May)

Since the first swelling my son has changed, he's tired all the time, he barely eats, he struggles to sleep. He's generally very grumpy and snappy.

A month or so ago he was seen again by another doctor who ordered blood tests. The results show low red blood cells and low iron levels. Told to add more iron to his diet (give him kale they said haha)

Since the bloods my son has developed night sweats to the point he wakes up and asks me to change him and his bed. Our house is not warm and no one else sweats at night like he does.
His appetite is next to nothing which family and doctor put down to "he's just naturally a skinny lad with a low appetite". Aren't 7 year olds meant to eat you out of house and home?

He's lost weight, only a small amount 3kg since November but considering how tiny he is it worries me.

The doctors don't seem to be taking my concerns very seriously but hey they're the doctors not me. But I know my son and I know he's not right.

Saw doc earlier this week as my son developed sudden onset cramping in his stomach. And his right tonsil is now Enlarged (not as big as the other) with a strange grape size lump coming off it.

Doc said could be that lymph nodes in his stomach are inflammaed along side the neck ones. He now has a 10 day course of antibiotics to see if they will take down his swelling.

My main questions are:
Has anyone any experience with a child with one swollen tonsil and other symptoms?
What do I say to the doctors if the antibiotics do nothing for his swelling?
Are his other symptoms as concerning as I believe they are?

Again thank you if you made it this far. Sorry for the grammar etc but I'm on an old broken iPhone as mines gone to phone heaven lol.

Naty1 Fri 24-Feb-17 09:59:56

Dd has swollen lymph glands. Referred for a scan where nothing suspicious found.
She gets repeat ear infections.in fact the stomach pain you describe she got with an ear infection.

Northy1987 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:13:29

Thanks for your reply Naty. The doctors won't refer him for anything even with all these symptoms it's so frustrating. His tonsils look so strange too. I'll add a pic if I can work it out lol

notanurse2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:16:58

Tonsils can affect your stomach. My DD has had tonsillitis from an early age and her symptoms don't seem that different to your son's. But I would expect the GP to confirm tonsillitis? It must be very worrying for you. Has the GP given an opinion on the grape like object?

Northy1987 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:24:33

Hi notanurse. Thanks for your reply. He's had tonsillitis a few times over the past few years (apparently not enough to warrant a removal straight off but the size of them should make ent agree to it)

My worry at the moment is he's not in any pain with the throat itself as in when you get tonsillitis it really hurts to swallow etc. His throat isn't painful nor are his nodes. They feel fixed in place on his neck but don't hurt him like they would with an infection. I'm trying to add a picture. Doc didn't say anything about the strange lump on the now enlarged other tonsil. :-( at my wits end with it.

Naty1 Fri 24-Feb-17 14:38:31

Did you give him kale?

Isadora2007 Fri 24-Feb-17 14:41:58

Honestly I would be asking for a second opinion. The night sweats in particular would be worrying as I know they can be a symptom of lymphoma. Given he has non painful swelling of lymph nodes as well I would definitely be asking to see a haematologist urgently.
I do hope all is well but I also hope you can be seen to put your mind at ease. And so your son can get appropriate treatment.

Frazzled2207 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:15:33

How frustrating and worrying for you.
Do the docs know about the night sweats (def not normal as you know) and the 3kg weight loss- that's quite a lot.
In your situation I think I would be seeking a private referral if you can't get anywhere soon.

Crumbs1 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:39:41

Tonsillitis will have enlarged lymph nodes. Lymph nodes a connected system so abdominal nodes can also be enlarged. His bloods show mild anaemia and appropriate treatment offered. Give him supplements or other iron rich foods. CT scans are not without significant risks and should not be undertaken without good cause. You are on ENT list so why battle for something else? Anaemia causes listlessness and fatigue. He'll have had a full blood count and Us and Es to exclude more serious issues. Ignore stuff about lymphoma - there is good reason for swollen lymph glands. Trust your GP and consultant.

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 24-Feb-17 16:45:04

Drenching night sweats, anaemia, fatigue and half a stone weight loss in a skinny child are not normal and need urgent investigation. It is very easy to do an ultrasound of the palpable neck glands. The radiologist can do a fine needle aspirate under a local if there is any concern about the size or appearance of these glands on ultrasound. Ask for a second opinion.

Wannabehermit Fri 24-Feb-17 16:51:36

The night sweats combined with weight loss would be enough to have me demanding a second opinion. I would actually pay to see a private paediatrician if need be.

Naty1 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:46:50

Did they check thuroid with the bloods?

Northy1987 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:45:16

Hi all sorry it's been a manic weekend. I don't believe they checked the thyroid on the bloods, or if they did they were fine as doc hasn't said anything about it.

I am extremely worried about him. I have been keeping a list of his symptoms. Docs brush off the night sweats like it's nothing.

I've done some googling (I know we shouldn't but I have now) and it's all coming up as lymphoma. Why are my docs not taking me seriously? Am I going to have to wait until May to see an ent doctor sad part of me wants to take him to a&e with my lists and have them test him for all sorts but I hate to waste resources if I really shouldn't be there.

I'm really at a loss

Isadora2007 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:26:25

Can you see your gp and ask for a haematology federal.

Isadora2007 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:26:35

Referral!

Frazzled2207 Sun 26-Feb-17 19:57:37

Can you see a different gp. If all else fails I think I would go to a&e.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now