Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 weeks old - why suddenly crying and arching back?

(13 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Tue 21-Feb-17 20:48:25

DD has had a cold for a few days with lots of snot and phlegm; we've been using a Nosefrida and saline solution so she's been able to keep feeding (she's EBF). There was a bit of major possetting but that seems to have calmed down now.

I got sick last night (food poisoning or something) and threw up everything I ate or drank overnight. It's better now, but I spent the day in bed, waking up to feed DD. Suddenly, late this afternoon, she starting screaming and arching her back as if in pain. She's usually VERY placid and hasn't been like this since she was born. She's still eating, but only stops crying otherwise when she's been held upright and bounced.

Any advice? Do I need to contact anyone? Thanks!

DoubleR Tue 21-Feb-17 22:57:09

Bumping for you, I hope someone who can help sees this.

Rocket1982 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:59:15

Sounds like it could be reflux or silent reflux. If so, keeping upright is a good thing! Perhaps take her to the GP?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Wed 22-Feb-17 00:20:20

arching back and crying are her showing you she's in pain - id call a dr - maybe GP tomorrow or 111 I'd worried overnight

GrommitsEarsHurt Wed 22-Feb-17 00:28:18

Definitely sounds like reflux. DD had it. Please call GP OOH, poor thing will be in pain.

WatcherOfTheNight Wed 22-Feb-17 00:34:32

I would ring out of hours for advice op,arching back is a sign of pain & baby is only tiny.
I think it's always best to check over such a young baby if you are not sure.

Fingers crossed it's reflux or colic.

Heathen4Hire Wed 22-Feb-17 01:01:39

My preemie had colic with these symptoms. If it is (diagnosed by the GP) try Infacol. My daughter is now ten but I know what you are going through.

BabCNesbitt Wed 22-Feb-17 08:03:12

Sorry for the slow reply - I tried some Infacol on her and it was miraculous! She calmed down really quickly (even if it was only due to the different flavour, it was astonishing) and hasn't cried since (though has let out some huge burps). So I'm wondering if it was a lot of trapped wind due to her taking in air as a result of the bad cold?

BabCNesbitt Wed 22-Feb-17 08:03:58

We've been giving her Infacol before feeds overnight and it seems to be helping.)

KnightMare Thu 23-Feb-17 09:23:28

So happy to hear the infacol did the trick smile

IckyPop Thu 23-Feb-17 09:34:20

Sounds like reflux/silent reflux. The arching is the acid coming up into the throat. Silent reflux is when it goes back down again rather than getting puked up. DS had this, suspected by me, confirmed diagnosis with GP at around 5-6weeks old. He was mix fed for 2 months then FF after as had lots of problems BF. We were given gaviscon for babies which did help a bit, but gave him constipation and hard poos. Then prescribed ranitidine as well. Again helped a bit. Then diagnosed with cows milk protein allergy (mild/moderate by the time we got a Paed appt). Reflux calmed down by 4-5 months old, then weaning just before 6 months really helped his tummy. Still not fully dairy tolerant at 3.5 years old but def getting there, just taking it slowly. HTH Good luck. smile

tillytubby Thu 23-Feb-17 15:20:37

We all had sickness bugs in my house and it manifested in my 8week old in this exact same way. Lots of crying as if in pain and only happy if held upright. Once we were better he went back to normal too so I think he had a mild form of it (breastfeeding so I think he got antibodies through my milk). I wouldn't be too quick to jump to reflux conclusion.

IckyPop Fri 24-Feb-17 08:46:19

Tillytubby great advice.
I think I'm a bit of a reflux awareness crusader as in my experience (and of others I know in RL) many HV and even GPs seem to dismiss it/have little real awareness. Same goes for CMPA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now