Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 month old baby exposed to chicken pox

(13 Posts)
crocodarl Tue 21-Feb-17 16:02:35

Hi, who has had a child catch chicken pox when under 6 months old?

DS2 (aged 3) has just been diagnosed. DS1 (aged nearly 5) hasn't had it yet and they're pretty healthy mainly so obviously I'm not too worried about them, probably a good thing for them to get it over and done with.

However DS3 is not yet 4 months old and is still recovering for a fever/coughing virus DS2 brought home from nursery last week. He's breastfed, so hopefully that is helpng his immunity, but I'm a bit concerned about whether he's likely to get it more seriously because of his age. Not much I can really do about it now though as DS2 has probably already sneezed it all over the house...

Anyone got any experience/tips for getting younger babies through chicken pox? Thanks.

Missmiller Tue 21-Feb-17 16:48:29

Yes my son had it at 13 weeks. He was fine despite having a fairly nad dose.

Missmiller Tue 21-Feb-17 16:48:45

*Bad

MirandaWest Tue 21-Feb-17 16:49:59

My DD had it at 6 weeks. She was fine, pretty spotty and slept more but no real problems. She came out in spots exactly two weeks after DS did.

IHeartNetball Tue 21-Feb-17 16:51:56

My 4 year old bought it home from pre-school when his baby brother was only 3 weeks old. Our walk-In centre told us he was unlikely to catch due to the immunity he had via my breast-feeding him. Thankfully they were right! Hope your little one feels better soon.

Hgmother Tue 21-Feb-17 16:53:43

My brother had it at 6 weeks old, it was horrible but there was no complications or anything like that

orangepudding Tue 21-Feb-17 16:57:47

Dd1 had it when dd2 was only 3 weeks old. dd2 did catch it despite being exclusively breastfed. It wasn't too bad.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Tue 21-Feb-17 16:58:37

My ds was a similar age when my 18 month year old dd came down with the pox. A couple of weeks later he had a spot in his groin area, and two spots in his hair. And that was that.

Two years later I noticed he had a couple of suspicious looking spots. But it came to nothing. Only thing was, a couple of weeks after that, his younger sister had chicken pox. So I think he must have had it for a second time then - equally mildly.

I suspect he had some residual immunity, as a breast fed 3 month old, meaning he got a super-mild dose - and this gave him some, but not complete protection.

WhisperedLoudest Tue 21-Feb-17 17:02:52

DC was 5 weeks when older sibling caught it.

GP debated whether to immunise but on balance felt since I'd had it DC probably had some immunity.

He contracted a very mild dose and subsequently caught it three further times shock

Keep an eye on the baby and any concerns take to A&E immediately it can be extremely serious in under 3 month olds.

Northernlurker Tue 21-Feb-17 17:12:20

Dd2 caught it from dd1 at four months. She was fine. No bother at all. I know somebody whose newborn caught from sibling, also fine.

yeOldeTrout Tue 21-Feb-17 17:23:49

DD had cp age 15-16 weeks. She was fine. Ugly sores, but no issues, really.

Ineedacupofteadesperately Tue 21-Feb-17 17:24:03

I'm in a similar situation watching my 10 week old like a hawk. Apoarently breastmilk should help - also the nhs wevsite suggests it is of most concern if baby under 4 weeks. I phoned my doctors and they said to bring baby in if she develops it but they wouldn't do anything like vaccinate.

crocodarl Tue 21-Feb-17 21:34:11

Thanks, all. That's mostly very reassuring, much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now