Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice needed please- pin prick rash

(12 Posts)
LittleMum91 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:35:25

Hello. I noticed yesterday morning that my 6 month old had a pin prick rash on her tummy and back, it disappears when the skin is moved and is a reddish colour. I took her to the doctors yesterday and the doctor wasn't sure what it was and just said to maybe stop giving her cows milk ( we have just started weaning and she has it with her porridge at breakfast) and to see how she gets on. Today it has spread to her neck and legs and arms and honestly, it's freaking me out. I know I should just listen to the doctor when they said it's nothing to worry about but it just doesn't sit right with me. DD is still eating fine and she seems happy enough. The only thing is she seems a little sleepier. She napped for about 2 hours until 1 and now she's asleep again. It's usually every two hours or more that she naps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Feb-17 14:39:18

If you're concerned seek medical attention.
As a side note isn't cows milk meant for over 1 year olds only?

LittleMum91 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:40:47

The HV said it was fine to start giving her whole milk. Ill call back and get another appointment. Thanks for replying smile

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Feb-17 14:43:06

That's ok. I would always go with your gut if you're worried. They would rather see a baby and offer reassurance than risk missing something that needed treatment. Good luck. Hope she's better soon.

m0therofdragons Tue 21-Feb-17 14:44:17

Young dc get viral rashes all the time. Used to worry me with dd1 but so long as it's not meningitis type rash then it'll pass. Cows milk is fine on cereal etc but not sure it should be cows milk for main drink (although my youngest is 5 so advice may have changed).

LittleMum91 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:45:58

Yeah I've called, just waiting for a GP to call me back. Thank you. DD isn't a fan of cows milk so I doubt she will be drinking it at any point haha, she only has it on her cereal smile

LittleMum91 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:19:09

Viral infection sad Thank you all for your replies.

Inneedofaholiday2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 03:59:26

That's good you know.

I wouldn't give cows milk even on cereal at this age because it is very high in sodium ( salt) for young babies. Bad advice from your health visitor. It might also cause her to get constipated. Just make porridge using formula milk.... it tastes nicer too!

Inneedofaholiday2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 04:00:55

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/8674967/Cows-milk-too-salty-for-babies.html

ohidoliketobe Fri 24-Feb-17 04:07:05

Inneedof that article is based around cows milk as main drink. Current guidance is that cows milk can be used when weaning mixed with foodstuff e.g. porridge but it's not to replace main breast or bottle drink.

Inneedofaholiday2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 04:08:29

Babies that have cows milk before one end with saltier diets - why not just use formula milk?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 04:09:16

Many people not aware it is high in salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now