Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just a bug or need checking out?

(20 Posts)
HCantThinkOfAUsername Mon 20-Feb-17 21:10:24

Ds (4) started being sick last night at 1am, he's saying he has tummy pains, he can't keep down water and is very sleepy, only passing 1 urine today so far.
He's got a temp that only lowers slightly with calpol/nurofen but still 38oC plus.
He's fallen asleep now so don't want to disturb him, which point does he need checking out?
He's had no diaheorrea.

I know it's bad asking on an Internet forum but I always doubt myself or what to do.

MrsChopper Mon 20-Feb-17 21:16:46

Try ringing 111 for advice. The fact he can't keep water down and has only urinated once is quite worrying.

GoodStuffAnnie Mon 20-Feb-17 21:18:53

When was he last sick? Do you think sick bug or vomiting because of the temp? I too would be concerned with one wee.

Sweets101 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:20:24

Definitely ring 111 and ask for advice

HCantThinkOfAUsername Mon 20-Feb-17 21:28:10

He randomly started the vomiting last night, the temp only started today.
He's not eaten anything different and we haven't left the house since fri so seems quite late to have been passed on if it's a bug?
He's sound asleep now and hasn't been sick since 5pm but still quite hot.
I'll ring nhs direct as there's no 111 in Wales.
Peadiatric unit in this county is only open 10am-8pm and no transport, next place with peadiatic provision is 50/60 miles away sad

Millybingbong Mon 20-Feb-17 21:31:04

My 3 you has this too. She has stopped being sick now after 24h. She is super sleepy.
I'm not too worried though she didn't sleep last night. I'm hoping she will be all better tomorrow. He siblings have been ill too just not quite as bad.

MrsChopper Mon 20-Feb-17 21:36:02

Hopefully NHS direct will be able to assist. Dehydration can be very serious. You mentioned he has been very sleepy. Lethargy can be a sign of dehydration. If he wakes up try and give him spoonfuls of water or maybe squash.

Inneedofaholiday2017 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:59:08

Ring 111
Try giving him a teaspoonful of liquid every 5 minutes.
I wouldn't let him sleep as he's probably very dehydrated and that can be dangerous.

Inneedofaholiday2017 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:00:16

I'd wake up and give fluids -teaspoon every 5 minutes for an hour then let sleep after an hour
But do ring 111. Any dr can help not just a paed.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Tue 21-Feb-17 09:57:13

Gave fluids throughout the night which he kept down, still quite sleepy but not vomiting.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Tue 21-Feb-17 19:31:36

Don't want to start multiple thread su thought I'd post on here.
Ds has weird Smelling breath (like nail varnish remover?!)
He had this a couple years ago and had a finger prick test for diabetes which was fine.'m
Could it just be the bug?

yeOldeTrout Tue 21-Feb-17 19:39:37

Are U giving him a little sip of water (or more water) every 5 minutes?

Skatingonthinice16 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:40:08

It's ketones you can smell.
It will be because he hasn't eaten / drunk much.
You need to keep trying to push the fluids as much as you can.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Tue 21-Feb-17 20:56:45

I'm giving fluids regularly but he's refusing so been syringing it in.
I panic so much, he's on the ASD so not good at saying what's wrong

Skatingonthinice16 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:17:33

Does he seem any less lethargic?

HCantThinkOfAUsername Tue 21-Feb-17 21:27:40

He's still lethargic but not as much as yesterday. Still v quiet

hazeyjane Tue 21-Feb-17 21:31:09

Do you have any dioralyte rehydration salts?
If you have,make some up and syringe 5 ml in at a time.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Wed 22-Feb-17 08:30:39

I bringing him to Drs today, he's not been sick since mon but still v drowsy and the smell on his breath hasn't gone.

So not to drip feed his sleep is non existent normally (ASD) he's on medication and still only gets about 6-7 hours max with a couple of wake ups.

He's slept 6:30pm-7:30am without his medication and falling back asleep by 8am, not like him at all, and so quiet.

Millybingbong Wed 22-Feb-17 21:12:45

How was doc. Still in the same position with my ddad (posted above). She is still being sick today when she drinks water. We went to doc today who said she was OK for hydration. She's been asleep most of the day again. Poor love.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Wed 22-Feb-17 21:52:54

Aw bless her milly hope she's better soon!
He got sent to hospital, he's come now but back in the morning if no different.
He's really dehydrated but children unit only open 10-4 so got a chance to try the fluids orally if not sent to an impatient ward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now