Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is 10 very young to have lost all baby teeth?

(12 Posts)
Olivo Mon 20-Feb-17 21:02:02

And is it likely to have been this soon because she has braces? She has had top and bottom braces for 16 months, as well as a Myobrace at night, and final baby tooth is now loose. I see the average is 12-14 years.

Is this very young? Will it have any benefits or disadvantages for her ongoing orthodontic treatment?

Sorry, so many questions, not back to the orthodontist for a few weeks!

F1GI Mon 20-Feb-17 21:04:34

I think it varies a lot. But I remembeer with ds it felt like one (of the further baack ones) came out and then they seemed to come out every other day!

Olivo Mon 20-Feb-17 21:07:19

Yes, it has been just like that! Just one molar to go now.....

anxious2017 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:13:40

Mine's 8 and has lost all but one of his. He did cut his teeth early at 11 weeks though so I presume as he had them early, he's lost them early.

Bluebellevergreen Mon 20-Feb-17 21:15:15

Excuse my ignorance but why would you wear braces on baby teeth if they are going to fall?

Olivo Mon 20-Feb-17 21:56:27

The 'normal' braces are to expand the palette whilst it is growing and adult teeth are coming in and to guide the new teeth in. The Myo helps to correct poor lingual habits which contribute to the crookedness. These are phase one of probably 3 phases of treatment. We can't progress until all her adult teeth are in.

She didnt get her first teeth till quite late on, so was surprised to see they're nearly all gone!

Bluebellevergreen Mon 20-Feb-17 22:07:58

Ahhh I see. Thanks.
I think children lose their teeth at different ages. My front bottom ones refuse to fall and I got my adult ones whilst I still had the baby ones. I was a shark child with 2 rows of teeth :-)

Maybe ask the dentist next time?

Bluebellevergreen Mon 20-Feb-17 22:08:20

*refused

TooMuchNoiseInHere Mon 20-Feb-17 22:12:05

No -it's not that young; I've had patients who were 8 and others 16ish before they've lost all their deciduous teeth.
In your DD's case I can't see any disadvantages; she's already demonstrated her maturity & commitment to orthodontic treatment via the functional appliances she's currently wearing. That in itself shows determination-no mean feat for your average 10 year old!
Am presuming after this functional phase she will proceed to fixed appliances with/without extractions?Therefore if anything all her orthodontic treatment will hopefully be complete earlier.

beautifulgirls Tue 21-Feb-17 07:39:22

My daughter is 10 and has lost all of her baby teeth now.

Olivo Tue 21-Feb-17 14:55:46

Tha.all,thank you all.

Olivo Tue 21-Feb-17 14:59:30

Sorry, not sure what happened there! Thank you all for your reassurances. Yes, she will progress to a fixe appliance, hopefully without extractions; that was the idea of having the widening brace for now, I think. It hasn't been plain sailing, there has been much bribery and rewards, especially when she was the only one, but now. A couple of friends also have braces so she doesn't feel so odd.Fingers crossed she will get it sorted sooner now these have come out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now