Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

16mo shrugging involuntarily?

(8 Posts)
C4Envelope Sun 19-Feb-17 16:36:51

Just as above. My 16mo DD has started shrugging a lot, tends to be in little episodes every few hours or so. There doesnt seem to be anything causing her discomfort or any reason for her to react. Anyone else had experience of this? Is it a normal development? Thinking of phoning the health visitor in the morning.
Thanks in advance

ChaChaChaCh4nges Sun 19-Feb-17 17:26:00

I'd definitely speak to your HV. My immediate thought was some form of seizure (DS1 has epilepsy so I know a bit about it).

Please don't panic. Even if it it epilepsy, and I'm not a doctor, many types can be very well controlled through medication. DS1 hasn't had a seizure for well over 18 months now.

beautifulgirls Sun 19-Feb-17 18:30:36

Have a google of infantile spasms, could be related?

Miloarmadillo1 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:37:29

My daughter had Infantile Spasms and they often look like little nods, shrugs, or like they lose muscle tone momentarily. They usually occur in clusters, the movement lasting 1-2 seconds but several in a row, and often around mealtimes or sleep-wake transitions. Please watch our video, and if there is the slightest possibility that is what your daughter has she needs an urgent EEG and treatment. We have a closed FB group, if you have footage members will have a look and tell you if they think it's suspicious
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PoWjBspeoQM
www.facebook.com/groups/1600888383553097/?ref=bookmarks

GloGirl Mon 20-Feb-17 17:57:09

It's worth filming and getting it on camera so you can show your GP when you go flowers

C4Envelope Wed 22-Feb-17 16:38:19

Thank you very much everyone, will try and get some footage. Off to watch the video posted upthread just now. flowers

C4Envelope Wed 22-Feb-17 16:44:16

Having watched the video I can say that DD's little shrugs do appear similar to a few of the LO's in the video. Next step is to try and get footage and get in touch with health visitor in the morning. Thank you again, O wouldn't of known to check for IS otherwise.

GloGirl Wed 22-Feb-17 17:08:08

GP appointment rather than HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now