Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby lost voice

(21 Posts)
blackpoolassy Sat 18-Feb-17 22:23:52

Hello
My 5 month old has a cold complicated by the fact she's immunosupressed at the moment.

Last 2 nights she's been crying non-stop for 2 hours. Today whenever she cries it's a tiny sound as if the volume has been turned down.
Almost like a cat mewling/meuling (?sp).

Should I be worried?

Is there anything I can do to help apart from bf?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:41:53

Do you have a dr you are under?
I'd give them a call for advice.
A weak cry isn't good but it's hard to comment without knowing what other symptoms she's has.

blackpoolassy Sat 18-Feb-17 23:47:40

Were under neuro. So no contact until Monday.

blackpoolassy Sun 19-Feb-17 12:38:54

Called 111 at 6am and still waiting for a call back

Inneedofaholiday2017 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:36:07

Did you get to see a GP?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:36:13

Hope she's ok.

blackpoolassy Sun 19-Feb-17 16:52:38

They called back at 2 finally. We're waiting to be seen now.

Glossolalia Sun 19-Feb-17 17:03:55

Hope she is ok blackpool flowers

SundaysFundays Sun 19-Feb-17 17:08:51

Hope she gets better soon. Never heard of a baby losing their voice before. Poor mite sad

littleoldladywho Sun 19-Feb-17 17:34:46

This happened with ds1 at 10 weeks. We took him to the walk-in to check checked but weren't too worried. Doc said he was probably fine (she checked his chest and couldn't hear anything concerning) but sent us to A and E to be sure due to his age. Two chest x rays x rays they confirmed double pneumonia, took sample and confirmed due to RSV infection. He was ebf so they allowed us to go home with a hospital nebuliser instead of admitting, but with the proviso that we returned immediately if he got any worse. It was pretty scary, as neither us nor the gp could tell anything was wrong (other than he was losing his voice) and I've been paranoid about chest infections ever since. We had to nebuliser him five times a day for two weeks, and he was under the paed for about 6 months.
Hope you get better news, but it was well treated once diagnosed - the dangerous thing is to ignore what seem to be minor symptoms. It would really have been much worse if we hadn't checked it out when we did.
Although they warned us he could develop asthma due to scarring in his lungs, he has actually been fine. I only mention this in case they don't do a chest x Ray! The first doc we saw was pretty sure there was nothing wrong at all, but the x Ray was pretty grim!
Good luck xx

blackpoolassy Sun 19-Feb-17 18:37:51

Thanks. Will query them about the x-ray. We're on our way to a&e now
Wish I'd trusted my guy again and just gone in earlier when they hadn't called me back, instead of trying to be 'hood'

blackpoolassy Sun 19-Feb-17 18:38:13

*gut

blackpoolassy Sun 19-Feb-17 18:38:46

Fucking bastard autocorrect

*good!

littleoldladywho Sun 19-Feb-17 18:54:54

I would definitely make sure they do one. (It isn't nice - they had to put my wee baby in what appeared to be a medieval torture device to hold him still for the x ray and he was singularly unimpressed, but so important to get an accurate picture of what is going on.)
RSV is a bitch for littlies - fingers crossed that's not what's going on. Hope you have an uneventful trip and it's just a minor cold. Does she have a temp? His was only slightly raised - but again enough to raise a small flag that they are fighting an infection somewhere...

blackpoolassy Sun 19-Feb-17 23:43:56

Been admitted but they're saying chest is clear so no radiology referral as yet

littleoldladywho Sun 19-Feb-17 23:52:02

Aw bless. At least they didn't send you home and you are in the right place. What a pain though. Has she got a temperature?

blackpoolassy Mon 20-Feb-17 04:47:40

She did. It's come down.

littleoldladywho Mon 20-Feb-17 15:20:03

Fingers crossed everything is okay today x

littleoldladywho Tue 21-Feb-17 16:34:33

Hoping everything is ok x
I know what it's like to have neuro stuff ongoing too - at three months dd2 stopped feeding (she had been tube fed initially) and was readmitted. That turned out to be chest infection too, but when they have underlying conditions it's so complicated to work everything out.
Hope she's doing better!

blackpoolassy Tue 21-Feb-17 17:30:20

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
Been discharged finally. A normal cold turned nasty due to underlying condition. Hopefully getting better now

littleoldladywho Tue 21-Feb-17 18:11:48

That's good news. Fingers crossed she is on the mend x
Blooming February. They call it RSV season here. It's so common but can be so nasty for little ones. Hope you have a quiet week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now