Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 days till C-Section & think my DD1 has Chickenpox!

(6 Posts)
Picklingaround79 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:42:29

Can anyone help? Just to get me through a Sunday of worrying before I call the midwife/GP on Monday...

DD1 is 2yrs and showing CP type rash (fluid filled blisters on face, chest, genital area).

I'm due to go in for a planned C-Section on Weds next week and now terrified about a brand newborn catching it. It's really hard to find info on newborns and CP googling this!! Is it a problem or not, and what should we do?

Anyone experienced similar?!

I've had chickenpox and know I am immune as was recently blood-tested for a pregnancy rash and they confirmed my immunity.

Does that help at all?

Many thanks!!

Skatingonthinice16 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:03:27

From what I understand you are likely to pass on some immunity to your new baby so it is uncommon - although not impossible - for them to catch chicken pox.

If your dd has it now then by next weekend when you come home she may well no longer be contagious but obviously she won't be able to visit you in hospital.
If she is still contagious and spots haven't scanned over I would be inclined to stay away until they have. It's not ideal but could grandparents have her for a night or two maybe?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:43:17

I think you should speak you your hospital about it

Iamastonished Sat 18-Feb-17 22:45:40

This happened to a friend of mine. They kept her and the baby in hospital until her children were no longer contagious.

queenofshihtzus Sat 18-Feb-17 22:54:20

This happened to someone I know. Her DS was four and had CP and she had just had her DD, literally in hospital as he was unwell. I remember her saying the hospital were concerned until she'd confirmed that she had definitely had CP herself and her DD would therefore have some immunity. This proved to be the case and her baby didn't get it.

There was a severe outbreak of cp when my DS was four and my DD was five months. DS got it and so did DD despite breastfeeding as I think my immunity from it that had passed to her had worn off. My friends baby aged eight weeks got it too during the same outbreak through siblings but it wasn't severe. I'm no medic but I understand the danger to be if a baby is newborn and the mother hasn't had CP herself.

Speak to the hospital, they will know for sure.

Picklingaround79 Sun 19-Feb-17 05:38:25

Thank you so much everybody - that sounds reassuring. It must be so common, I'm surprised there is not more advice available online!

I think we will jump the gun and take DD straight to Doctor on Monday AM to confirm CP first of all, then call hospital if it's positive. It does sound like depending on their opinion, I could face an extended stay there, and/or we might need to consider grandparents for DD which would be a shame, but sounds like hopefully it could only be for a few days.

The total pain is that we have literally all just recovered from a really bad vomiting bug! I was hoping for at least a couple of days healthy calm before the next storm... bah!

Thanks again for the help. I am crossing all fingers and toes that they can confirm Newborn will have my immunity...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now