Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

bacterial vaginosis

(4 Posts)
pilates Sat 18-Feb-17 09:22:06

My 15 DD keeps getting this and I wondered if there is anything she should be taking to prevent it? She is currently on Nitrofurantoin and has about two days left of a week's course and the systems are still there. The smell is awful like ammonia/fish.

Not sure if the doctor is treating as a UTI and whether this antibiotic can treat everything.

She did have a bad bout of food poisoning whilst abroad on holiday in August last year and am wondering if this is connected?

user1486415120 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:57:54

I don't think food poinsoning could be to blame. Isn't it an imbalance of the PH down there? I'd make sure she's not using any perfumes, soaps or deodorants and the like as this is a big no no and can cause this.

I would definitely take her back to the doctors if the medication isn't working. Some doctors just throw anything at you to get you out the door! Persevere until she's right again.

Xx

Crumbs1 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:04:06

Mention fish odour syndrome if it's smell rather than other symptoms that are main issue.
Assume swabs etc been sent to ensure it actually is bacterial and that it is sensitive to nitrofurantoin.

pilates Sun 19-Feb-17 08:24:04

Ok thanks.

No swabs haven't been taken, will suggest this.

She does like her bubble bath sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now