Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When to see GP with diarrhoea (TMI alert)

(6 Posts)
Twopeapods Wed 15-Feb-17 23:03:29

DD2 has had diarrhoea for 4 days, she was on antibiotics last week for an infection in her belly button so I thought that had caused it. There were 3 days between finishing antibiotics and start of diarrhoea.
Today however there has been a LOT of mucus in her nappy. Is this normal? She has complained of a sore tummy a couple times since yesterday, and also has to be changed very quickly as it is making her bottom red raw.
She has just turned 2. Do I need to see the GP? Or is this normal with antibiotics? She's never had them before. I also started her on probiotic powder today to see if it helps.

BarbarianMum Thu 16-Feb-17 12:01:31

How is she in herself? If she's reasonably lovely, eating and most importantly drinking plenty of keep going with the probiotics and just keep an eye out for dehydration. It may be the antibiotics, it may be that whatever she's had is working its way through her system.
Try a protective coating of metanium cream on her bum.

BarbarianMum Thu 16-Feb-17 12:02:26

Reasonably lively. blush I'm sure she's always lovely.

YerTiz Thu 16-Feb-17 12:04:44

I'd give them a ring, they might ask you to drop in a sample to check if it's a bug. (Have done this with mine (and me!) before.)

Twopeapods Thu 16-Feb-17 22:00:25

She's been ok in herself and eating and drinking fine.
She's been just twice today but it has burned her bottom badly. I've been using metonium and letting no her have nappy free time.
I think I will ring the GP tomorrow for advice.

BarbarianMum Thu 16-Feb-17 23:30:41

Good idea. As YerTiz said they may want to do a stool sample.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now