Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS 4, drinking and weeing lots

(19 Posts)
Alizzle Tue 14-Feb-17 21:39:33

Just that really. I've noticed that ds is constantly drinking and weeing. No other health issues at all. I've booked in for the doctors but is this an issue or am I being pfb? confused

skinnyamericano Tue 14-Feb-17 21:41:58

Think you've done the right thing, as I'm sure you're aware of these being symptoms of diabetes. Hopefully just a UTI or similar.

You haven't got to wait for ages for an appointment have you? Fingers crossed for you and DS.

RueDeWakening Tue 14-Feb-17 21:42:05

What sort of quantities? Excessive thirst can be a sign of type 1 diabetes. Please get him checked.

Alizzle Tue 14-Feb-17 21:55:13

The appointment isn't until next week but I'm off Friday so I will call in the morning for an appointment then. It just seems to be constant, he finishes one and immediately asks for another. School would have said something if they'd noticed there wouldn't they? His teacher is off atm but the teaching assistant is there.

skinnyamericano Tue 14-Feb-17 22:00:54

I'd definitely go as soon as you can. Is it just a half term thing, drinks being more available, bit of boredom?

It may not have been obvious at school, or even happening then. I'd definitely not leave it until next week.

Owl1011 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:01:50

It's definitely best to get DS checked out sooner rather than later OP. I would suggest going to the GP straight away and ask for a blood glucose test to rule out Type 1 diabetes. It needs to be a finger prick test so it's instant as well, make sure the GP does this as it's important. It could be nothing but defo get checked out and put your mind at rest. Hope DS gets better soon, whatever it is

CatsBatsEars Tue 14-Feb-17 22:03:36

Is there any history of type 1 diabetes in his family background? I really don't want to alarm you but excessive drinking/weeing was one of my symptoms pre diagnosis.

CatsBatsEars Tue 14-Feb-17 22:04:13

X post

TheHiphopopotamus Tue 14-Feb-17 22:08:59

Agree with what everyone else said. Get him checked for diabetes as soon as you can, especially if this is a recent thing.

Dd is type 1 and this was one of her symptoms (there was no history of diabetes in our family though, so that isn't always an indicator).

Alizzle Tue 14-Feb-17 22:10:00

Just one of my paternal cousins if that makes sense so no.real family history. It was what sprang to mind with me anyway but just wanted to see rationally iyswim. We're not on half term until next week. When do these things usually show themselves? He's only 4. I will definitely take him friday, are there other symptoms to look out for?

TheHiphopopotamus Tue 14-Feb-17 22:16:37

The 4 t's of Type 1 are

Toilet- going to the loo more than usual

Thirsty- drinking more than usual

Tired- does he seem more tired than usual?

Thinner- does he look like he's losing weight?

Dd had just turned 2 when she was diagonosed and had all the symptoms but the last two develop slightly later than the the first two.

I really don't want to worry you, but if you suspect it may be diabetes, you need to get him to the doctors as soon as possible.

kateclarke Tue 14-Feb-17 22:21:10

Pharmacists will do a blood gloucose test while you wait for your appointment. I would pop in asap just in case.

BarbarianMum Tue 14-Feb-17 22:26:43

Agree with above. Please get him seen tomorrow first thing. The blood test is really simple but needs to be done asap. If it is T1 diabetes (and it may well not be) he could deteriorate extremely quickly.

In your case I'd go stand in the doctors when they open and insist they see him. Good luck.

LovingLola Tue 14-Feb-17 22:31:16

I wouldn't wait till Friday. Hopefully it is not diabetes but if it is then he needs to be seen asap.

CatsBatsEars Tue 14-Feb-17 22:37:03

Other symptoms of T1 are blurred vision, dizziness, possibly stomach pains and sickness, smell of pear drops on the breath due to ketosis. The NHS do a good T1 check list.

DaffodilSunshine Tue 14-Feb-17 22:37:47

As others have said, increased thirst and weeing can indicate type 1 diabetes. He needs to be seen by a GP tomorrow for a finger prick blood glucose. If that test suggests he does have diabetes he will need to go to hospital same day. Diabetes is extremely serious and children can go downhill fast. It's not very common so sometimes GPs don't think of it and diagnosis gets delayed so please insist on the blood glucose test

lougle Tue 14-Feb-17 22:46:43

It's good that you're getting him checked. Just to give an alternative possibility, there is a phenomenon called 'squash syndrome' in young children as well. That's where young children get a taste for nice drinks and guzzle them. But the drinks are slightly irritant to the bladder and can be slightly dehydrating, so rather than quenching thirst, it makes them feel thirsty. Because the drinks taste nice, there isn't a natural disincentive to having huge volumes of drinks, so they drink lots and lots, which can mimic diabetes symptoms.

It's always important to get seen by health professionals, then they can work out what the cause is. My DD2 developed 3 of the 4Ts and was admitted to hospital for 24 hours when her random blood sugar was 8 at the GP surgery. But the hospital monitored her and the consultant concluded she had 'squash syndrome'. When we put her on water only for a few weeks, her symptoms completely went away.

RueDeWakening Tue 14-Feb-17 22:49:59

I'm not convinced a pharmacist would do a blood test on a 4 year old, not sure though - I would see the GP tomorrow.

I was diagnosed T1 at 9 years old, symptoms were thirst, needing the loo very frequently, and losing weight. No history of T1 diabetes in my family.

Tell the GP that you're concerned that it could be diabetes and ask for a blood test. My meter only takes 5 seconds to provide a result.

Alizzle Fri 17-Feb-17 10:44:10

Got an appointment this morning. Blood sugar normal at 6.5 and this was after breakfast. --ds told the doctor about the sugary cereal and biscuits given by dh--blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now