Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Need advice

(10 Posts)
rabzz Tue 14-Feb-17 17:29:40

Hello
3 year old Dd has a cold with blocked nose. She does not have any signs of respiratory distress and is active plus eating well. She widens her nostrils and breathes with mouth. I have put in saline drops and used vapo rub to relieve congestion. Is it normal for child to widen nostrils with stuffy nose?? Need advice please. Planning on doc visit tomorrow but its night here..

QuackDuckQuack Tue 14-Feb-17 17:31:27

Why would you take a 3 yo to the doctor for a cold?

picklemepopcorn Tue 14-Feb-17 17:32:38

Yes I think so. Part of the trying to breathe business I suppose. If she's eating and playing, I wouldn't worry.

lazydog Tue 14-Feb-17 17:33:16

Is this for real? A doctor's appointment for a snotty nose??

rabzz Tue 14-Feb-17 17:41:06

I know its over the top but she came down with pneumonia in dec and was admitted due to breathing difficulties. Since then i think i have become a bit paranoid. Specialy the nose flaring was scaring. But i think its mostly over reaction on my part smile

rabzz Tue 14-Feb-17 17:43:38

Thankyou picklemepopcorn smile I also think its due to stuffed nose. I

picklemepopcorn Tue 14-Feb-17 18:56:51

The flailing ribs thing is a proper symptom, the flared nostrils not so much. It's awful when you've had a little one seriously ill. You turn into a worry wart!

Inneedofaholiday2017 Wed 15-Feb-17 00:13:47

Look at all the signs for resp distress.
- breathing rate
- heart rate
- is she using all of her tummy muscles and pulling in her chest hard to breathe
- tracheal tug
- head bobbing
- signs of low oxygen such as mottled skin or blue hands

Sounds to me like she has a blocked nose. Flaring can't get past the obstruction so she thrn takes a breath through mouth?

If you are worried see a dr

rabzz Thu 16-Feb-17 20:28:07

I have kept a close eye but she isnt showing any other symptoms of resp distress. Now her flaring is also gone. Just a blocked nose. Thankyou all for your support smile

picklemepopcorn Thu 16-Feb-17 20:43:23

That's good to hear. She'll be better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now