Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dental insurance for children

(9 Posts)
AfroPunk Tue 14-Feb-17 17:04:17

My dd1 is 8yo and after a routine checkup today, the dentist said that the overbite she presented with 18m ago hasn't gone away and will need treatment in the future.

He said she would qualify for NHS treatment but that she wouldn't be eligible for treatment until all her milk teeth are gone, at around 12yo. That seems ages to wait as her teeth already bother her. She has beaitiful milk teeth and then her adult teeth came in and theyre so different to what she had - she has a narrow jaw which i believe contributes to why her front theeth jut forward.

I just want to help her. I love her to bits and dont want her confidence knocked (any more). Would there be any point in taking out a private dental plan and to go from there?

TIA

AfroPunk Tue 14-Feb-17 17:05:11

Should have read 'she had beautiful milk teeth'

raindripsonruses Tue 14-Feb-17 17:05:28

Watching. In fact putting money aside now in anticipation of dental work my dd will need.

donkir Tue 14-Feb-17 17:07:37

Even if you go private they still won't give her orthodontic treatment until she has lost all of her baby teeth.

TooMuchNoiseInHere Tue 14-Feb-17 20:15:34

In addition to what donkir has said; taking out a private dental plan for your DD, e.g., denplan , will not cover you/her for private orthodontic treatment.

wickerlampshade Tue 14-Feb-17 20:17:09

Insurance doesn't cover pre existing problems.

AfroPunk Tue 14-Feb-17 21:18:36

So that a dentist has identified an overbite but not treated it still counts as a preexisting condition?

Thanks for your replies so far.

TooMuchNoiseInHere Tue 14-Feb-17 21:47:02

To answer your original question, there is no point in taking out a private dental plan in this particular clinical situation. Private dental plans usually cover fillings/scaling/remedial dental work etc not orthodontic treatment.

Your general dentist's advice sounds sensible tbh but if you're not happy with this, ask your dentist to do a private referral to an orthodontist for a private consultation/opinion to set your mind at rest.
There are certain clinical situations where early intervention in the mixed dentition stage is appropriate. These are rare and usually involve functional appliances and then following on from this, fixed orthodontics when all the primary dentition are lost & the permanent teeth are all /nearly all in situ.
The vast majority of children who are crowded will start fixed ortho treatment around about Year7/8-when a) all the baby teeth have gone and b) they are mature enough to cope with all the demands & commitments involved in orthodontics.

AfroPunk Wed 15-Feb-17 09:07:03

Thank you for your post, Noise. It's really useful. I will probably take her soon to have a consultation with an orthodontist. I guess we will have to start saving between and and when she's 12yo! Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now