Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Am I right to be concerned about my toddler's short legs?

(9 Posts)
PetyrBaelish Tue 14-Feb-17 16:35:47

I always knew my 28mo DS had short legs relative to his upper body - I remember my mum commenting on it when he was first born. He is in 2-3 or 3-4 years tops depending on the fit, but 12-18 or 18-24 month trousers. He had a development check by the health visitor today who placed him in the 75th centile for weight, but 9th centile for height.

The HV said she wasn't concerned about him being overweight, because he has a good diet and he doesn't look overweight at all, and she could see he has short legs.

She said that I shouldn't worry about his legs and he will probably just have a growth spurt - but the disparity seems quite shocking to me, I was wondering if I should get a second opinion in case there is a problem with the way his legs are growing/developing. Am I overreacting?

He was late to walk (just before 18mo) and he is very tentative with playground equipment, he seems to need a good amount of help compared to other children his age. I can think of no one else in the family of similar proportions, his dad, both grandfathers and half-brother are all tall.

PetyrBaelish Tue 14-Feb-17 18:19:39

Bump

3littlebadgers Tue 14-Feb-17 18:42:26

If you are worried a second opinion would be a good thing. It may ease your mind at the very least

AnyFucker Tue 14-Feb-17 18:45:08

That is quite a big disparity in height/height centiles unless your ds is very chubby

I would ask your gp to refer you for a paediatric opinion

AnyFucker Tue 14-Feb-17 18:45:36

Sorry, I meant to type height/weight

catkind Tue 14-Feb-17 18:54:23

My kids were that shape as toddlers too. They have evened out a bit at 4 and 7, but DH also has relatively short legs so I don't expect they'll ever be average proportions. I've known a few people say the same re clothes sizes. So I think it is quite common for kids to come in non textbook proportions.
But if you're going to fret, get a GP to have a look anyway, just be prepared to weather the hmm face if HV is right and he's completely within the normal range.

BarbarianMum Tue 14-Feb-17 21:00:32

He sounds completely fine.

AnotherTimeMaybe Tue 14-Feb-17 21:28:20

I'd ask for referal to pediatrician too
Good luck X

cestlavielife Tue 14-Feb-17 22:57:39

18 months is not late to walk. It is within normal range.
Are both legs the same length?
Are the trousers which fit for him correct e.g. if they have a knee patch is it in the right place?

If so then unlikely to be anything to worry about.

Just monitor height and weight yourself every three months for now.

If you concerned about gross motor you could ask for community physio review.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now