Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What are these?

(13 Posts)
WorkingBling Tue 14-Feb-17 11:46:24

DD is 2. She keeps getting what look almost like large insect bites, usually in the evening. They are very red with a small blister at first, but within 12 hours, the blister has disappeared and the redness reduced. It then stays as a small, slightly red raised sore for about 5 days.

I'm thinking an allergic reaction? we thought it was chicken pox when it came up across her whole body, but was gone by the next morning and only the odd additional spot since. Any thoughts? I am tracking them now and will probably take her to the doctor, but am interested if anyone has any ideas.

WorkingBling Tue 14-Feb-17 11:46:47

you might have to zoom in to see the little blister...

MissDallas Tue 14-Feb-17 11:48:35

Mosquitos?

WorkingBling Tue 14-Feb-17 11:53:30

I'm pretty sure it's not insects as a) no one else is being bitten and b) most of the time it's just one. Her bedding is washed in a hot wash at least once a week and, just in case, we washed her car seat covers as well recently.

MojhitoSparkle Tue 14-Feb-17 11:53:52

What is her evening routine?

bed bugs perhaps if she gets the bites when in bed or lying on a chair or sofa or cushion

or fleas perhaps if she is cuddling animals

Or an allergic reaction perhaps to something in her bath? Something her skin is coming into contact with at that time?

Depends what her routine is really

MojhitoSparkle Tue 14-Feb-17 11:54:30

Sounds like it's not from her bed or car seat.

WorkingBling Tue 14-Feb-17 12:22:08

I wondered about bed bugs etc - but everywhere she sits, so do we. So that seems unlikely. Not the bath because the products in her bath are the same every single night but the sores only appear sometimes.

We do have pets, but again, she's the only one impacted and actually, is the one who cuddles them the least.

I think it's an allergic reaction to something she's eating, although I've never seen an allergic reaction with a blister in an unrelated part of the body... that's what's throwing me off.

namechange20050 Tue 14-Feb-17 12:25:32

I reckon it's a flea bite. They like some people more than others. If it's bedbugs you would know about it (been there and just about lived to tell the tale).

namechange20050 Tue 14-Feb-17 12:26:24

Make sure all flea treatment is up to date on your pets.

WorkingBling Tue 14-Feb-17 12:52:58

Thanks. Will try. It's quite possible she's due her monthly flea meds. DH is usually in charge of that but he's been crazy so maybe we are behind. I will ask him.

bigredboat Tue 14-Feb-17 12:58:46

Bity insects prefer certain people over others and some people have a stronger reaction too, I think they look like flea bites.

Seeline Tue 14-Feb-17 12:58:47

Others may be being bitten - just not reacting to them in the same way.

Having said that, both DS and I react to bites and if they come up like that, they would be very itchy, and would last longer than 12 hours in that very red/inflamed state.

DS reacts very badly, and often seems to get bitten more than the rest of us. I think we probably just don't notice as the reaction is not so severe.

Spongesecret008 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:53:09

I hope you find out what it is. This happened to me a few years ago and was very worrying not knowing what it was.Have you asked a pharmacist or doctor to look at them? A pharmacist may be able to tell you if it looks like an allergy or bite. It does look like an insect bite but maybe it is possible for an allergy to look like that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now