Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Permanently split toenail bothering ds (pic attached)

(8 Posts)
musicalfrog Tue 14-Feb-17 08:05:11

Hi there, does anyone else have experience of this please?

It's always grown this way but now he's older (nearly 4) he's become more aware of it. It has a rough edge but I've cut it as close as I can.

I spoke to the nurse at the GP surgery who said there's not much can be done. I think it must be genetic as it looks like my baby daughter has the same thing. sad

Olympiathequeen Tue 14-Feb-17 11:00:54

He may find it a bit more comfortable if you use some clear nail varnish to keep the edges together and make them less sharp.

Spongesecret008 Tue 14-Feb-17 13:40:57

My DS had this on his big toe for years. He is 8 now and it has been fine since he was 6. Maybe it is something that heals in time? I just made sure it couldn't catch on anything.

musicalfrog Tue 14-Feb-17 20:32:43

Tonight after his bath, the smaller section of the nail lifted up and ds was fiddling and complaining about it (unsurprisingly) so I trimmed a bit more off but didn't want to remove too much. I've put a plaster over it to hold it in place but I've no idea if it will stick back down. confused It made me feel quite queasy tbh and ds is worrying about it now!

Sponge thank you for giving me hope that he may not have to deal with this forever.

Thank you too Olympia I will try that if I get the chance to.

user1485724504 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:56:16

My son (aged 9) has exactly the same thing on his little toe. Last week the smaller bit was bothering him so I tried to smooth it a bit. The next day the big bit fell off entirely!
Waiting to see what grows back now...

musicalfrog Tue 14-Feb-17 22:31:58

I'm really glad we're not the only ones! Thank you for hearing me. What a shock User, losing the big bit. Does he have any pain? And would you mind keeping me updated with what happens next? I suppose my ds might lose this bit I've stuck down, maybe that's for the best though.

Bit of a design flaw though isn't it? I wonder why it happens.

Venusflytwat Tue 14-Feb-17 22:34:22

Not the same thing I know but I half ripped my thumbnail off the other week. It wouldn't come off at the bottom (and was SO adore). I have tried all sorts to hold it on/together and the thing that worked best was micropore tape cut to the shape of the nail. So that might give it a chance to heal from the bottom up.

Venusflytwat Tue 14-Feb-17 22:36:17

So sore! I did not adore it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now