Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler suddenly limping, plus gross motor delay

(25 Posts)
fionnthedog Mon 13-Feb-17 21:38:54

My DS is 2.9 and this morning woke up limping, sort of dragging one of his legs. He says his legs don't hurt and was happy in himself but with a very pronounced limp. As far as I'm aware he hasn't fallen and I can't see anything obviously wrong with his leg / knee / hip.

He is delayed with his gross motor skills. Walked at 17 months after bum shuffling from 11 months. He still can't jump or hop or walk up stairs without holding on (to a hand, rail or on all fours).

Obviously if the limp continues I'll go to the GPs but I'm worried sick it's something like muscular dystrophy. I do suffer a bit on and off with anxiety so any reassurance would be helpful...

Thanks all.

user1484226561 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:41:29

MD is inherited, any cases in the family?

fionnthedog Mon 13-Feb-17 21:44:04

No, no family history that I know of, but I thought it wasn't only inherited - could also be random gene mutation? Perhaps I'm wrong (am certainly no medical expert!)

AnyFucker Mon 13-Feb-17 21:45:27

MD does not present like this, love

See the GP. Sounds like transient synovitis.

MrsDustyBusty Mon 13-Feb-17 21:45:38

That sounds similar to a problem my nephew has with his hips. So far they haven't isolated what causes it but they think it's an infection. Seemingly, it's not uncommon. I would have him seen, though.

lougle Mon 13-Feb-17 21:48:08

If his limp is very pronounced, you need to seek medical advice promptly. Has he has a cold recently?

fionnthedog Mon 13-Feb-17 21:50:52

He lost his voice briefly last week and has had a bit of a cough, nothing very serious. But yes, I guess he has a cold.

I will try and get him seen tomorrow if the limp is still there.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Mon 13-Feb-17 21:50:52

go to drs please op

my ds had a broken leg at this age - picked up by x ray

AnyFucker Mon 13-Feb-17 21:54:02

He needs a hip and knee xray and possibly ultrasound of the joints.

minimumeffort Mon 13-Feb-17 21:54:18

I second anyfucker and think it's synovitis

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Irritable-hip/Pages/Introduction.aspx

My son didn't walk until 18 months and is still a bit wobbly so I understand the worrying about muscular dystrophy.

Might be worth a trip to the GP for peace of mind but I think it's very unlikely to be anything to worry about.

MrPoppersPenguins Mon 13-Feb-17 22:07:03

Between the age of 2 and 3 my son had 3 transient episodes of a limp. It usually lasted a day or 2 then disappeared. He occasionally complained it was sore. Medical colleagues of mine suggested I take him to GP but it always disappeared before I could get an appointment.

fionnthedog Mon 13-Feb-17 22:16:44

This has been SO helpful. Thank you. Will update in due course...

AnyFucker Mon 13-Feb-17 22:17:49

The limping and the motor delay are likely to be 2 separate issues

Corneliussnitch Mon 13-Feb-17 22:19:04

Could be irritable hip my son had it twice, has he had any viral infections recently

Girlsworld92 Mon 13-Feb-17 22:19:39

My friends 2 yr old son had this recently. Went for an X-ray and got all clear. It went way the next day. Apparently it's very common in boys so fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about.

AnyFucker Mon 13-Feb-17 22:21:08

Actually, what have his developmental checks been like ?

If he is a bit bendy/hypermobile/low tone then he may just be at the slow end of normal milestones

Someone has to be at the lower percentiles so they can exist at all

fionnthedog Mon 13-Feb-17 22:34:06

At his last check (27 months?) they commented that he wasn't jumping and that if he still wasn't by 3 the to go see a HV again - which I will do. He is bendy / hypermobile (as I am) and often sits in the W position (as I used to), though I do try and discourage this as I think it's not helpful?

Without the limp I am fairly sure he's just slow / delayed gross motor but the limp has freaked me out today especially as no obvious cause. But I'd never heard of irritable hip either!

AnyFucker Mon 13-Feb-17 22:41:19

It'll be OK. See the GP or walk in centre to put your mind at rest.

Irritable hip/transient synovitis is the most likely explanation. If the limp persists they may want to rule out
septic arthritis (much less likely). The first requires no treatment, the second requires IV antibiotics

PJ67 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:32:25

Sounds like irritable hip (transient synovitis). All 3 of my ds's have had it and most common in children around age 2. It's caused by a virus and usually clears up within a week although my youngest had it for a couple of weeks. Best to get him checked but think this is most likely cause.

SwearyInn Mon 13-Feb-17 23:36:15

I was going to suggest transient synovitis too. Our local hospital has a weekly "limping child" as it is so common.

Stressful for you, but chances are it's nothing to worry about.

Inneedofaholiday2017 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:06:55

I'd see your GP - could be anything. My worry would be something neurological. Only a dr could diagnose.

Olympiathequeen Tue 14-Feb-17 10:58:43

Irritable hip can follow a viral illness.

whereareyousleep Tue 14-Feb-17 22:46:02

My ds3 ended up with reactive arthritis after a virus which did eventually clear up after a couple of weeks. Hope you've been seen op and it's nothing to worry about.

fionnthedog Wed 15-Feb-17 22:10:23

Just to update, haven't managed to get a GP appointment yet 😞 But it is also a lot less pronounced than it was, and now not all the time. Have been trying (and mostly failing) to get him to rest; still seems fine in himself.

Inneedofaholiday2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 01:00:58

Thanks for updating. Glad he seems to be getting better. Hope you can get an app soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now