Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler's dry poo

(12 Posts)
ShutYerCakeHole Mon 13-Feb-17 18:30:51

Sorry, it's gross!

2 yo DS regularly has explosive poo which is has the consistency of sand / cake crumbs or is grainy / flaky. If undetected it will make his skin red and sore in minutes, so sore that he can't stand a warm bath and we need to use nappy cream.
It is also incredibly difficult to clean off the skin.

We're waiting for a referral to a paediatric Dr as DS also does some strange straining at times (not constipation) and I do feel the 2 are connected but have yet to convince anyone else!
Not looking for a diagnosis here, just wondering if anyone has experience and can suggest anything while we wait? I vaguely suspect bread and have limited it but I'm not sure.
He has plenty of fruit & veg in his diet and drinks lots of water. He doesn't seem to be in any pain.

TIA!

picklemepopcorn Mon 13-Feb-17 18:33:23

So, bran or sand (because they do eat it) could cause it? Kiwi makes nappies gritty.
Lots of nappy cream at each change so it's easier to clean off? We had a few like this but I can't remember why.

ShutYerCakeHole Mon 13-Feb-17 18:38:31

Thanks for your reply - no sand or bran here and kiwi only very occasionally!
The cleaning isn't too much of a problem really, it's more the regularity, daily at the moment with nothing particularly exotic in his diet sad

picklemepopcorn Mon 13-Feb-17 21:20:29

I hope you find an answer! We were plagued with sore bottoms- from very loose, explosive, sour smelling stools. Turned out it was milk intolerance. Took a long time to track down for us, as it wasn't widely known about then. Had two changes of clothes everywhere we went!

ShutYerCakeHole Tue 14-Feb-17 08:56:28

Thanks! I def feel there's something not quite right and wonder if it's an intolerance.

cestlavielife Tue 14-Feb-17 23:03:21

Explosive poos can be constipation.
If there is impaction it can come out explosive.

FreezerBird Tue 14-Feb-17 23:05:15

PP are right about impaction/constipation, but ds always used to have 'sandy' poos when he'd been eating pear.

ShutYerCakeHole Thu 16-Feb-17 22:13:40

Thanks for replies.
I've queried constipation with HVs and GP especially with regards to DS's 'straining', but it hasn't been taken seriously. Will go back!

cestlavielife Thu 16-Feb-17 22:28:12

Gp hv don't always spot constipation..
Sometimes only acknowledge when x ray shows the blockage.
You could give probiotics /actimel type drink daily

annazr Thu 16-Feb-17 22:45:18

This sounds like my DS. He has a milk intolerance and we still haven't fully got to the bottom of it. We're due to see the dietician for the second time next month and it looks like it'll then be on to tests/diagnoses maybe! But my sons nappies were and sometimes still are exactly how you describe! Such a pain to clean off!

ShutYerCakeHole Fri 17-Feb-17 11:51:26

Thanks both.
That's interesting, annazr, good luck with getting a diagnosis!

midsummabreak Fri 17-Feb-17 12:49:10

If you suspect bread, try stopping bread for 2 weeks
Then see if improvement

Maybe could then try removing dairy if no improvement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now