Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Eczema - hard water area?

(9 Posts)
HushHushBlackout Sun 12-Feb-17 07:51:31

My family all suffer from eczema. I never have but have noticed since we moved to this area a few years ago (hard water area) I have a few patches of very itchy dry skin.

I wonder whether getting a filter on our shower head might have any impact?

Any experiences or advice?

2madboys Sun 12-Feb-17 08:01:51

Hi. It may be worth investing in a water softener. I work in the industry and there is a lot of anecdotal evidence (unfortunately not proven) that softened water helps with eczema.

megletthesecond Sun 12-Feb-17 08:07:49

Ime it makes a difference. We live in a really hard water area and DS's eczema only improved once he started having showers, cream never helped, it was avoiding contact with water that healed it. Holidays in soft water areas were bliss.

I wonder if there is a pattern of GP's prescribing more eczema lotions in hard water areas?

ifancyagreencard Sun 12-Feb-17 08:22:23

Next door neighbour suffered with the AWFUL eczema. South East, very hard water. They fitted a water softener and it made one hell of a difference within a couple of weeks. And has remained so. Good luck - it can be such an unpleasant condition to manage.

HushHushBlackout Sun 12-Feb-17 08:47:30

Thanks so much for advice. Can you share details about water softeners? Like how do you do that exactly? Ive seen filters for shower heads but is there something else? And is it worth filtering the water we drink as well?

Inneedofaholiday2017 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:04:27

I think they fit softener and then have a seperate tap for drinking water where they add the stuff back in.
Def sounds like it would be worth you getting some quotes.

Wolfiefan Sun 12-Feb-17 13:10:14

Have you changed any washing detergent, softener, soap or shower gel etc?

HushHushBlackout Sun 12-Feb-17 16:09:38

What kind of person do I even ask? A plumber?

No it's definitely not any kind of product based.

2madboys Sun 12-Feb-17 18:10:05

You want a plumbers merchant. If you want to pm me I can give you the name of the company I work for. They are usually fitted where your cold water enters the property.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: