Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Purple pub prick rash and a fever

(9 Posts)
muminmanchester Sat 11-Feb-17 20:10:52

DS (14 months) has had a cold and cough for a few days. After bath tonight I noticed a very slight purple pin prick rash on his tummy. It's quite faint which makes it really hard to do the glass test but I think it faded.

He's got a red rash on his cheeks which does fade.

He's got a temperature of 38. Has had cold hands all day which I've read is a potential meningitis symptom but more likely just because it's been cold today I think. He's been generally fine today, no irritability or dislike of lights etc.

Going to keep checking the rash over night and if it changes will decide whether we need A&E...

WWYD? It's always the bleeding weekend when these things happen so it's A&E or nothing where we live! And I really don't want to be the idiot spending 6 hours in A&E for a cold!

muminmanchester Sat 11-Feb-17 20:11:40

*pin prick! Bloody auto correct

HerculesMulligan Sat 11-Feb-17 20:13:01

I'd be, at the very least, phoning the OOH doctor. I don't mess around with rashes. I know a beautiful child who nearly lost a limb to it.

amysmummy12345 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:14:09

Ring 111, they'll advise A&E in any case flowers

Haudyerwheesht Sat 11-Feb-17 20:15:07

It sounds like it could be scarlet fever? Id call and ask.

muminmanchester Sat 11-Feb-17 21:00:19

Thanks. I've just been and had another peek and the rash on his tummy seems to have gone. Will keep checking every hour x

Witchend Sun 12-Feb-17 09:32:14

If he's still awake and alert then you don't need to worry really.
Ds used to get viral rashes that don't fade frequently, and the doctors told me that the rash is one of the last symptoms of meningitis, so by the time it appears the child will already be showing signs of being very ill indeed.
They find it a little frustrating as you get people who think it can't be because there's no rash, and come in too late, and people in a panic with an otherwise appearing totally well child.
Unfortunately, possibly because it's a definite thing for people to look out for, people do focus on the rash.

However if it is non-fading, always get it checked out-even my GP used to send us to take ds for a blood test.

Scarlet fever is raised-feels and looks like sandpaper.

Inneedofaholiday2017 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:04:13

I'd go to out of hours today (phone 111) they'll get you an appointment.

muminmanchester Sun 12-Feb-17 10:18:58

He seems fine today. Still has a cold but the rash has gone.

I may try and see the practice nurse in the morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now