Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has he had chicken pox?

(11 Posts)
CaptainHarville Fri 10-Feb-17 09:26:34

When DS2 was about a few months old his older brother had chicken pox. Not a severe case and he got better. No spots on DS2 at all. Then when DS2 was 4 his little sister got chicken pox, she was covered but no spots on DS2.

So is it likely he's naturally immune? Did he have it and I didn't notice? If I want to get his immunity checked will a doctor be willing?

He's now nearly 7 so been exposed at school no doubt too.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Fri 10-Feb-17 09:30:42

Watching with interest as I know an adult man who cared for his two children when they had chickenpox (years apart) but never caught it himself apparently. He also didn't have it as a child - he says.

My understanding is that chickenpox is very contagious so perhaps he did get it but had fewer, milder symptoms? A bit like your child OP.

Would love to hear an expert's opinion!

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 10-Feb-17 09:41:44

It's possible he's had a very mild case and didn't notice. But it is also possible he's not caught it. My siblings had chicken pox as children but I didn't catch it. As an adult, when pregnant with my first, I was worried about chicken pox exposure. The midwives were fairly relaxed and assumed I'd have had a mild version as a child and not been aware of it. They tested my blood just in case, and it turned out I hadn't ever had chicken pox and wasn't immune to it. So it is possible.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Fri 10-Feb-17 09:44:56

Oooh interesting Beauty 🤔 So it is possible to escape chicken pox despite heavy exposure.

Glad you got tested during pregnancy!

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 10-Feb-17 09:56:55

It was a bit of a worry whilst I was pregnant. I had the two part vaccine for it after finding out I wasn't immune. But, my DS1 caught it when he was 4, and I then caught it off him as an adult! Fortunately only a mild case. The vaccine is not 100% effective I later found out.

empirerecordsrocked Fri 10-Feb-17 10:10:41

I'm convinced dts had a very mild dose of cp when they were 3. Practically everyone in nursery had it - they had a bit of a fever and I noticed three suspect spots on their backs - if it was it it never developed any further. They're nearly 6 now and have been exposed since but never had it.

I had it really really badly as a child, still have scars on my stomach.

Skatingonthinice16 Fri 10-Feb-17 10:32:42

I had very close exposure to it lots of times without catching it.

Got to 34 and still wasn't immune so I had the vaccine. The vaccine in an adult is only 75% effective but supposedly reduces the severity of it if you catch it. The vaccine in a child is more effective for some reason - around 96%. I've had both mine vaccinated.

CaptainHarville Sat 11-Feb-17 10:05:06

If I ask the GP will they be willing to test his immunity? If he hasn't had it I'd pay to get him vaccinated.

kimlo Sat 11-Feb-17 10:10:17

I asked the nurse if the doctor would test before I get my dds the jabs, and she said they would.

Both have mine have never had it, but both have been around it loads in childcare and at school but neither have had it.

CaptainHarville Sat 11-Feb-17 11:48:34

Thanks kimlo I'll make him an appointment.

Frazzled2207 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:54:48

I asked GP for immunity test as I was willing to pay privately for the jab. Having not had CP I was worried about ds1 getting it and passing it on to me when I was expecting ds2.

Gp was fine with the blood test. Turns out I am immune despite my mother being adamant I never had CP. GP said nobody is born immune so I must have had the virus extremely mildly (possibly with no spots!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now