Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox - what can I do to help?

(5 Posts)
newstartamiready Thu 09-Feb-17 22:38:16

So my dd is 9 she had a high temperature yesterday and felt very cold then hot! Tonight I realised she has lots of spots and I think it's chicken pox. What do I need to do for her apart from calpol?

I will call the doctors first thing tomorrow!

Also my dd always wants to come in my bed when she is ill but I have recently stopped her from coming in my bed atall do you let your D.C.'s in the bed when they are ill?

OneLumpOrSeven Fri 10-Feb-17 22:02:18

If she has chicken pox you don't need to take her to the doctors. Especially as it's not a good idea she sits in the waiting room. Calpol if she's sore, I think we gave piriton for itching. You can also get virasoothe and calamine cream from the pharmacy.

Yes I let my dc in the bed when they're ill, one of mine is in the bed right now.

BWatchWatcher Fri 10-Feb-17 22:06:48

Keep her cool.
Heat makes the pox spread and multiply faster.

Catcrazy008 Fri 10-Feb-17 22:08:58

Piriton helps stop the itching.
Oats ground up in a pair of tights is really soothing.
My son loved is oat bath!

Sittinginthesun Fri 10-Feb-17 22:14:46

Antihistamine for the itchiness. Rather than the doctor, take a photo and ask a pharmacist to check it is chickenpox. They may recommend a viral cream (can't remember it's name).

And, yes, I let them sleep with me. Normally evict DH into the spare room. When ds2 had an asthma episode last year, I slept with him for a few nights until I was happy the steroids were working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now