Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What could this rash be?

(13 Posts)
Cottonheadedninnnymuggins Tue 07-Feb-17 08:17:49

Good morning, my eleven year old DS was getting ready for school and I noticed this rash on his face, it's a bleeding under the skin type rash, any idea what it could be. It wasn't there when he went to bed so I'm thinking it was caused by him lying awkwardly?

Jaagojaago Tue 07-Feb-17 10:49:33

Have you pressed a glass on it to see if the marks disappear? Any other symptoms?

Verbena37 Tue 07-Feb-17 10:58:05

Very strange. And there is nothing anywhere else on his body?
Has he laid on a hairbrush or something plastic that would give that affect?
I'd maybe take him to the GP if it hasn't gone later....just to make sure.

Cottonheadedninnnymuggins Tue 07-Feb-17 12:22:49

Absolutely no other symptoms, he was dressed and ready for school when I noticed it. It wasn't anywhere else, but I'll check again when he gets home. I'm leaning towards the theory he's slept on something, surely if it was something nasty he would be feeling poorly as well.

Verbena37 Wed 08-Feb-17 13:42:06

How is the rash now cotton?
Has it disappeared?

Cottonheadedninnnymuggins Wed 08-Feb-17 16:31:53

Hi Verbena, it's still there! No worse though and he is absolutely fine in himself.

TheEdgeofSeventeen Wed 08-Feb-17 16:48:27

Is there a label or a rough bit of appliqué on the bedding? just looks like either somethings irritated it or burst blood vessels to me.

Cottonheadedninnnymuggins Wed 08-Feb-17 16:53:06

TheEdge, nothing on his bedding that could have rubbed, I'm wondering if he slept with his cheek leaning into his knuckles, if that makes any sense.

Verbena37 Wed 08-Feb-17 16:54:42

Is there a toy he has got that he might have leant on before bed and it's bruised under the skin I need that pattern?

Llamacorn Wed 08-Feb-17 17:00:22

My dh actually had a very similar rash on his cheek a few years back and it was shingles.
Although your ds's looks more like burst blood vessels and too uniform to be anything sinister - perhaps he did just lie on something (or a hickie?! Does he have siblings? My dds went through a weird stage doing this to each other, strange kids)
Keep an eye on it and hopefully it will just start to disappear, not worsen.

minipie Wed 08-Feb-17 17:09:30

It does look very regular, like marks from a hairbrush or something. How strange. There isn't anything that's got itself hidden inside his duvet or under his sheet is there?

Cottonheadedninnnymuggins Wed 08-Feb-17 17:20:21

Definitely nothing under the duvet or sheets, the marks do look like burst blood vessels and I'm starting to see a yellow tinge as if it's bruising. It is a mystery!

Olympiathequeen Sat 11-Feb-17 13:12:46

Does look like an odd bruise so the most obvious thing is he's laid on something during the night or knocked his face on something hard?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now