Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9 year old Son is regurgitating food, advice please

(9 Posts)
biggernow Mon 06-Feb-17 14:22:14

Hello,
My son has recently started regurgitating his food often- small amounts but sick smelling. I have taken him to the GP who thinks he should take omepreozale (spelling..) which I have in a bag next to me...Yet- I have been advised by two other GP's ( friend/ family) independently that I should try and start with diet eliminations first and not give him the drugs yet. Eliminate dairy first, then gluten etc etc and try and prevent it rather than 'cure' it with ( I quote, not my words) a 'relatively new and untested' drug. Can anyone please share any experience on this subject? Just to say he's fit and healthy other than this, fully active etc. Obviously I am worried. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice- it would be much appreciated.

biggernow Fri 10-Feb-17 17:37:51

bump **

SecondsLeft Fri 10-Feb-17 17:51:34

Any anxiety?

Badders123 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:57:26

You should NEVER eliminAte a food a child's diet without consultations with a trained dietician.
Given him the bloody meds.

Laselva Fri 10-Feb-17 17:59:16

Please do not eliminate gluten without getting tested for coeliac disease first.

LunaFortuna Fri 10-Feb-17 18:00:44

If it's omeprazole I think it's been around for a while, not really 'new and untested' and you can buy it over the counter. I've just been on it for acid reflux so I think it's fairly standard.

My daughter also used to get reflux (at about 7/8 yo) and was prescribed it too.

Are you concerned about your GP's advice?

OneLumpOrSeven Fri 10-Feb-17 21:53:18

Omeprazole is hardly new and untested.

drinkyourmilk Fri 10-Feb-17 21:55:35

I think omeprazole is fairly well known. I've been taking it for years. Without it I've got reflux which is incredibly painful.

DearTeddyRobinson Fri 10-Feb-17 22:01:52

Omeprezole is as far as I know the generic, which means it's been around, and off patent, for a good while.
Please follow the advice of the medic who has actually seen your son, rather than others who don't know his history, and may not be up to speed with the latest guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now