Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler had a febrile seizure-reassurance needed please

(5 Posts)
jellymum1704 Mon 06-Feb-17 07:14:30

DS 22 months had a low fever since Thursday and a bit of a runny poo but was fairly active. We noticed a spike in temperature over the weekend upto 39 gave calpol and he seemed to get better. Yesterday afternoon he woke up from his nap after which we had a cuddle on the sofa watching tv when he suddenly started shaking uncontrollably, eyes rolling up, body stiff, drool etc , the worst experience ever. Called ambulance and has been kept in hospital overnight. The doctors noticed redness in between his ears and throat but he hasn't had a cold or cough that I noticed. He doesn't have any rashes or any other visible symptoms. He did a urine test that was negative but also got his blood sample for testing, don't know the outcome as yet. Please could someone with a similar experiences let me know if it'a ear infection or possibly some other bacterial infection? I noticed a small white blister in his tongue as well which the doc believes might be viral.

Oblomov17 Mon 06-Feb-17 07:27:52

Ds1 had 2 febrile convulsions. They are very frightening because you don't know what they are, are they a fit? And at that Nikki-second, your u dear you are going to lose your child.
And often, not always, it turns out that it originates from or is partly because of an ear infection or similar.
Hope you are ok.

Haggisfish Mon 06-Feb-17 07:30:47

Ds had one when he had salmOnella. It's the very quick rise in temp that causes them, not just a high temp. He's not had another one and was fine. It was utterly terrifying.

Hs2Issue Mon 06-Feb-17 07:32:02

DD used to get them quite a lot, usually with ear infections or uti's though could get them with a cold as well. First few were scary but we got used to them and eventually she seemed to outgrow them (last one was on her third birthday). I also used to get them according to my parents so I did sort of know what is was. They do look frightening but aren't unusual.

jellymum1704 Mon 06-Feb-17 08:25:36

Thank you for your replies. He still has a mild temperature and refusing food. He's usually such a hyper bunny, hate to see him so poorly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now