Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Teacher says ds1 pees a lot more than the other kids in class

(16 Posts)
TiddlesUpATree Sun 05-Feb-17 16:57:10

Teacher caught hold of me last week at drop off. She thinks ds1 (4) pees more than the other kids. He's had no health issues. I have nothing to compare it too but hadn't noticed that he pees lots.

I had gestational diabetes and I guess I worry that it could be related. Didn't get it with ds2 though.

Always feel like I'm wasting gps time. Worth a visit??

noblegiraffe Sun 05-Feb-17 17:08:23

How often is he going in a day at school? How does that compare to at home over a similar time?

Is he using going to the toilet as an excuse to have a break, or does he actually need a wee?

I think I'd want to investigate a bit further before going to the GP.

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Feb-17 17:16:46

I would go to the GP it doesn't take much to be tested for T1 diabetes and better to be safe than sorry. Also your gestational diabetes will have nothing to do with it so don't worry about that!

RainbowCookie Sun 05-Feb-17 17:27:42

My son has this, took him to a urologist and he has a very small and over active bladder. He is on long term meds now to stop his bladder contracting, dr thinks as he grows his bladder will get bigger and he'll grow out of it. He's 8 now and seems a bit better.

BarbarianMum Mon 06-Feb-17 12:46:04

Does he drink a lot, feel ill or very tired? If it's type 1 diabetes he'd be a very sick little boy. So yes get him checked out but far more likely to be a uti or overactive bladder (which should also be checked out but no need to panic).

steppemum Mon 06-Feb-17 12:55:29

If it's type 1 diabetes he'd be a very sick little boy.

not sure that is true (but I am NOT a medic)

I once taught a boy who was forever asking to go to the loo. He was about 7, and I tried to be firm as he was too old to be going 3 times between break and lunch. But he was a good kid and not messing around and obviously embarrassed. No other symptons. Appeared well.
One morning his mum came in and said he had been diagnosed with diabetes.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Feb-17 12:57:55

Do you think he goes a lot at home or is he using it to get out the classroom? Is he happy at school?

BarbarianMum Mon 06-Feb-17 13:03:53

The constant peeing in diabetes is the result of constant thirst and drinking more than usual steppemum. So at the very least he'd have been drinking and drinking.

steppemum Mon 06-Feb-17 13:14:31

I know barbarian mum - but the boy I am thinking of was drinking at the water fountain next to the loos when he went to the loo (pre water bottle days) and so while I knew he was going to the loo, it wasn't obvious he was drinking.

But obviously that would be more obvious at home.

In dds reception class the kids had constant access to their water bottles, and moved around the classroom a lot, so teacher may not have noticed the drinking, just the loo visits, and he may well not look or appear poorly, but still need urgent attention due to possible diabetes

BarbarianMum Mon 06-Feb-17 13:17:40

Yes, sorry, not meaning to imply that you should have noticed, just that there would be symptoms that a parent could pick up on at home.

steppemum Mon 06-Feb-17 13:21:54

no - I didn't think that, was just saying that he may not appear 'ill' or sickly. But that there may be good reasons to go to GP.

(I think we are agreeing really! grin)

TiddlesUpATree Mon 06-Feb-17 13:24:01

Thanks everyone. We watched him over the weekend and he didn't seem to be going more than usual but not sure what is normal iykwim. Must be quite a bit for teacher to notice it is more than others in a class of 30.

He's happy at school so don't think he's trying to escape lessons. He doesn't drink very Much. It's a constant battle to get him to have a drink. Pretty sure he's not topping up his bottle and there's some left in it most days.

Spoke to his teacher again this morning and she agrees that it's best to get him checked.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 06-Feb-17 13:26:58

Actually the thing is if he is not drinking very much sometimes the bladder needs to dispel whatever urine is there because it is stronger. So he may be going often but just weeing a few drops/splashes. If you encourage him to drink more it dilutes the wee but when he goes he dispels all of the fluid in his bladder so he needs to go less often.

We had this with DS who also had other nighttime issues and it was explained to me at the enuresis clinic.

FoodieToo Mon 06-Feb-17 19:07:39

If he is only going excessively in school there must be a school based reason. As in work avoidance, someone annoying him, just fancies a break or whatever.

I had a brother with Type 1 and I wouldn't be concerned given what you have said. As someone mentioned it's the drinking water that's the main symptom and the urination just as a resut of the excessive drining as the body tries to eliminate the sugar in the bloodstream.

If he developed other symptoms I would get it checked out.
I had ds1 tested and it wasn't a simple urine or blood test. My GP said they are not conclusive ( they can give an indication though ).

So it was more like a glucose challenge as he had to have a canula in and spend half a day at the hospital drinking glucose drinks and having blood taken 30 minutes later.
Thankfully negative but it was a real ordeal and I wouldn't put a child through it unnecessarily.

TiddlesUpATree Thu 09-Feb-17 10:38:37

Hi. I spoke with the nurse at school who said it won't be diabetes. She thinks he might not be drinking enough causing bladder to twitch. She said get gp appointment to rule out infection.

Went to go this morning. He poo pooed the idea of him not drinking enough. He wants sample to check. Will update once we know.

journeyon Wed 22-Feb-17 17:39:57

Hope it all us ok - but just to stress if worried go to gp it is a simple wee yes for signs of ketones and glucose and then finger prick - my ds was diagnosed after a week of weeing loads and thirst although looked healthy was in picu with dka which came on rapidly - other signs weight loss, and fruity breath

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now