Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4yo temperature over 40 - what to do?

(12 Posts)
Allfednonedead Sun 05-Feb-17 14:39:25

Just that basically. Do I need to bring her to the dr?
It comes down with Calpol or Ibuprofen, but goes right back up again within a few hours.
I know it should be self-limiting, but what if I'm wrong?
She has a cough and a very runny nose.

VocalDuck Sun 05-Feb-17 14:41:25

Ring your doctor to see if they are unlikely open on a Sunday or whether they refer you to our of hours. Otherwise call 111.

Allfednonedead Sun 05-Feb-17 14:45:52

We have an excellent OOH service here, but isn't that overreacting?

Pooka Sun 05-Feb-17 14:46:52

I'd carry on with alternating ibuprofen/calpol making sure max dose and reassess in the morning or before depending upon response to rigidly timed doses. If the temp is coming up so high well before time for the next dose I would ring 111. But if timed doses means temp not getting so high, maybe wait and see.

My eldest 2 would get very high temps and so 40 not always a major concern (for them) so long as the medicine is bringing the temperature down. My youngest always runs a little cold though so 39 for him is pretty bloody hot.

Any other symptoms (ears, throat, chest)? Because if other symptoms then maybe OOH would be good, particularly any rattling or ear discharge.

But above all - if you are worried then maybe call 111.

Allfednonedead Sun 05-Feb-17 14:56:15

Temperature has not come down with calpol. sad.
Her twin is always super-hot (had a temp of 41 at Xmas) but not this one so much.
Am waiting for out of hours call-back.

JennyOnAPlate Sun 05-Feb-17 14:58:32

If it's not coming down with paracetamol/ibuprofen I would definitely go to ooh dr flowers

Longwalkoffashortpier Sun 05-Feb-17 14:59:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Natsku Sun 05-Feb-17 15:04:25

How is she otherwise? Is she lethargic? Eating and drinking?

DD gets fevers of 40 or over most times that she is ill but the doctor says so long as she's at least drinking something and is able to play a bit then not to worry.

Roastie1986 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:16:29

Hey is all ok? X

Allfednonedead Sun 05-Feb-17 22:13:12

Yes. Call back dr made an appt, but said give a dose of ibuprofen and if that worked, to cancel it.
So it turns out that ibuprofen works where paracetamol didn't. Phew!
DD now fast asleep, although once again v feverish. Ibuprofen at the ready!
Thanks for asking.

Twopeapods Sun 05-Feb-17 22:27:08

Check her tonsils if you can. Those kind of temps only came on with DDs tonsillitis. If it continues though I would take her to the docs to check her over.

VocalDuck Sun 05-Feb-17 23:43:12

Ibuprofen is better at bringing down temperatures than paracetamol. I was only told when DD1 had Slapped Cheek as always thought it was the other way round.

Hope your DD is much better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now