Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds unwell but I can't put my finger on it.

(14 Posts)
jimijack Sat 04-Feb-17 12:52:46

He woke up at about 2am upset, boiling hot.
Gave him a big cold drink and carpool, he went back off.

This morning normal warm to touch.
Not keen on eating (not like him)
Just looks poorly, lay on sofa, drinking though.

He is 4.
The only thing left to get is chicken pox, he has pretty much had everything now.
Says he doesn't feel unwell, but looks unwell, like he is about to fall asleep, heavy eyes.
Bit of a cough, nothing to write home about. Normal poo, has had a wee.
No pain/soreness anywhere.

Strange boy! I just can't pin down what it could be.

jimijack Sat 04-Feb-17 13:14:04

Ahh he has fallen asleep, bit of snoring going on...tonsilitis it is then!
Phew, feel less hysterical when I know what it is...frantically checking for rashes and cold hands and feet since 2am.

And relax.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sat 04-Feb-17 13:15:24

Why does it have to be something odd, it's probably a virus ...

measles64 Sat 04-Feb-17 13:17:08

Just keep an eye on him, sometimes it is nothing, sometimes it needs intervention, you know your own child.

BertrandRussell Sat 04-Feb-17 13:17:37

Probably "just a virus". A nasty case of "there's a lot of it about"!

Unlikely to be tonsillitis unless he has a bad sore throat. But kids are always getting unspecified bugs. If he isn't getting any worse, then there is no need to worry. Keep an eye, and expect him to wake up hungry!

Gaaaah Sat 04-Feb-17 13:18:11

Sounds like the virus that's in our house at the minute.

As difficult as it is, you need to unclench op.

pickleday Sat 04-Feb-17 13:25:07

Why do you think it's tonsillitis?? If he's still eating I doubt it's that.

Probably just a virus like pp have suggested.

Sweets101 Sat 04-Feb-17 13:27:25

confused just sounds like a virus. DD has had various symptoms for over a week. Now she has earache. If she's not better come Monday I might take her to the Dr's.
There is a lot of bugs about at the mo.

DoItTooJulia Sat 04-Feb-17 13:27:43

Poor boy, and poor you: I find I'll children stressful.

And it's always at the weekend that they seem worse.

Hope he's on the mend soon flowers

DoItTooJulia Sat 04-Feb-17 13:28:01

*ill

jimijack Sat 04-Feb-17 13:31:09

This is how he presents. He had it about 6 weeks ago, he was happy, eating, drinking, not hot to touch but his voice changed and he snored when asleep. I had a look in there and it was red, swollen with pits of yellow and black on both sides. No pain either!

Didn't need to do anything about it, just watched him. Took about 10 days to go, I guess it was viral.

He is poorly now though, looks poorly, he didn't then.
Poor little chick. Feels warmish, had brufen at 10, so it will be calpol until 6ish when he can have some more brufen.

jimijack Sat 04-Feb-17 13:32:49

Gahh ha! Love that..."unclench" I'm unclenching now as I type grin

Gaaaah Sat 04-Feb-17 13:45:28

Good. It's horrible when they're ill and you can do very little about it. But obsessing about what the illness is is just silly and worrying. I'm sure if he was really poorly you would know for sure.

From what you've described, it's exactly like my own dd. She had this virus before christmas, fine all day but unwell in the evenings, off food, temp, looked like shit. It was a watch and wait thing. She seemed to recover but has maintained a cough that won't quit. Then she got a viral rash come up and went down again with exactly the same symptoms as before. More than a month later.

There's not much you can do. Give him calpol if he's hurting, make sure he has plenty to drink, offer food if he wants it, don't worry if he doesn't and let him sleep if he needs to.

jimijack Sat 04-Feb-17 14:13:49

Yep, all in hand.
I'm too lazy to worry unless there is something to worry about, don't even own a thermometer. My mother is horrified lol.

He will be fine in a few days.
He is so squidgy when asleep, gorgeous bear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now