Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Odd bruising/marks

(9 Posts)
RayofFuckingSunshine Sat 04-Feb-17 08:05:11

I noticed DD (7) had one of these marks on her yesterday. Asked her about it but she couldn't remember how it got there, we just shrugged and got on with it. Kids get odd marks all the time.

She woke up this morning and came in to show us her arm, another one has appeared overnight (definitely wasn't there when she went to bed).

We have no explanation for it, neither does she. Does anyone here have any ideas? I'm going to wait and see if anything else randomly appears before calling NHS Direct as I think it's almost definitely nothing. But any other ideas?

beautifulgirls Sat 04-Feb-17 21:04:01

If she gets more, especially on legs and/or joint pain and/or tummy pain consider henoch schonlein purpura.

It does look though a lot more like a trauma - maybe a bit of running around and grabbing/bumping of friends in the playground yesterday? Perhaps it took a bit of time to come to the surface?

Ilovecaindingle Sat 04-Feb-17 21:06:52

Looks like she may have been sucking her own arm. My dd has done this before. .
Trying to skip school or another issue?

iMatter Sat 04-Feb-17 21:10:58

Yy - sucking her own arm. We used to do this when I was young.

It's a bit like a self inflicted love bite.

Haggisfish Sat 04-Feb-17 21:12:16

Or a mark from rucksack straps running on arms?

LockingJay Sat 04-Feb-17 21:12:57

I was going to say sucking her arm too.

RayofFuckingSunshine Sun 05-Feb-17 08:13:37

Me and DH had thought that she was sucking her own arm. She was adamant that she hadn't but we had also suspected that may be because she thought she might be in trouble for it. Thanks for confirming pretty much what we though!

CurlsLDN Sun 05-Feb-17 08:16:54

Was also going to say, I had similar in the same spot on my arm when I 'practised lovebites'

Allfednonedead Sun 05-Feb-17 14:44:30

Seconding HSP as a possibility. It's an autoimmune response, usually after a respiratory virus.
Look out for more, and for swollen, painful joints.
Do the bruises hurt? I don't think the HSP rash does.
My DS had it age 3, and was unwell for several weeks, but recovered completely and has almost forgotten about 'when he went all puffy'. I haven't, it was terrifying! But no longer lasting harm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now