Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8month baby itching

(9 Posts)
WorriedAboutNail Fri 03-Feb-17 15:17:52

Hi all

When my DS was about 3 months I went to the HV to ask her to check out his skin, as his stomach and joints were dry and looked like they had heat spots on them.
She prescribed some Zerocream and said that it looked like mild baby exczema. Things got better but now it's flared up again. My poor baby is constantly itching his shoulder blades and stomach as well as his feet.

Does anybody have any recommendations of any creams over the counter that can help alleviate the itching? I don't want to burden the NHS with a prescription product unless I really have to.

Ps for bath time we use oilatum

Inneedofaholiday2017 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:33:44

Dipobase is quite good - you can buy a massive pot from boots.

MrsGB2225 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:35:20

Another vote for diprobase

hatethegame Fri 03-Feb-17 20:37:42

My baby broke out it awful eczema - I saw a homeopath which worked wonders in fixing it mostly, and then I use a mix of diprobase and sudo creme to keep it under control day to day. He's mostly clear now. Good luck - an itchy baby is awful!

ShizerMinelli Fri 03-Feb-17 20:43:13

DS had terrible eczema. We went down the route of oral and cream steroids and antibiotics, in a terrible cycle of infection, then healing etc. The only thing that has cleared it for him is Aveeno - the oatmeal one. Has been amazing. Not used steroid cream for months. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 03-Feb-17 20:48:15

Dd has had eczema since 5 months old.
Afraid to tell you all the creams from Dr's didn't work. In fact they made it worse.

Try some lovea or a'kin available online. No greasy. Light. Vegan and no lanolin or sodium Laurel sulphate or parabens which are usually what cause the reactions

We have tried ceteraban diprobase double Base epiderm aqueous cream(turns out that should never have been prescribed as worst thing for eczema)

And a dozen others.

Can't recommend a'kin enough.

Lindy2 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:53:29

Can you pin point anything that might be causing it?
My baby had eczema and it turned out to be linked to cows milk protein. She had to go on a dairy free diet and that mostly cleared it up.

WorriedAboutNail Fri 03-Feb-17 23:56:03

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will make a trip to Boots tomorrow.

Lindy I really don't know; I initially thought it was to Johnson products so stopped them completely but not much improvement. I did think it could be the Fairy Non Bio but the itching only seems to be on his shoulders, chest and feet [confuse].
The cows milk protein is interesting, were there any other symptoms for your DD other than the exczema?

Lindy2 Sat 04-Feb-17 08:45:05

We were able to pinpoint the milk issue as when DD had her first bit of formula at 6 weeks old she had an allergic reaction and we ended up in A and E. The eczema started shortly after that, although she'd always had rough skin.
I was advised to cut out dairy from my diet as I was BFing her. The eczema went in just over a week.
She stayed dairy free until about age 6 but is mostly fine now.
I guess we were lucky in a way that we had an extreme reaction for an easy diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now