Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newborn, very small soft spot

(19 Posts)
sj257 Fri 03-Feb-17 08:15:59

Hi, my son is a week old, and I have noticed his soft spot on top of his head is very small. He is a big baby so it's not just that he is small, he also has a ridge from one side of his head to the other. I am panicking as my older son was treated for plagiocephaly when he was a baby and from using forums related to that I remembered some babies having craniosyntosis and needing surgery. I'm really worried 😔

TheTantrumCometh Fri 03-Feb-17 08:31:41

One of my DC (I think DD, but maybe DS-or was it both? confused) had the ridge thing and are absolutely fine.

I can't help on the fontanelle front, but generally they're quite small anyway aren't they?

Crumbs1 Fri 03-Feb-17 08:33:41

There are two fontanelles. They are usually small particularly the anterior one. Stop fretting and enjoy the baby.

sj257 Fri 03-Feb-17 10:44:17

Thank you, I have anxiety so it's just freaked me out a bit. My other children definitely had bigger ones.

strawberrypenguin Fri 03-Feb-17 10:47:48

If there's a soft spot it's a good sign. My DS1 had craniosynostosis that was surgically treated. He had no soft spot at all. If you are worried I would push fir paediatrician to have a look though - most GP's are unlikely to have seen a case

BarbarianMum Fri 03-Feb-17 21:10:22

Ds2 had/has metopic craniosynostosis, and has ridges along all of his suture lines-as does dh and MiL. He did have to undergo a process of assessment (ct scan etc) at a few months old but he never needed treatment because his form of the condition is so mild. You can't tell he has it at all since he grew hair.

Mild forms of craniosynostosis are fairly common.

So it's not time to worry about surgery yet. I'd suggest you mention it at his 6 week check but even if he's referred to the hospital to get things checked out it doesn't mean that he'll need treatment. And if he does - well cross that bridge when you come to it. smile

strawberrypenguin Fri 03-Feb-17 21:26:00

Barbarian you and I often end up on these types of threads as different examples of Cranio and associated treatment. Don't think I've ever said 'hi' though. Glad your DS managed without surgery. Mine had/has (never really sure what tense to use!) fairly pronounced sagittal.

BarbarianMum Fri 03-Feb-17 21:45:33

<Waves at Strawberry>
Hello smile Yes I always try and post on these threads if I find them because I remember how terribly alone I felt when all this was happening. Wish I'd had mumsnet then.

Interestingly the sagittal ridge is by far dh' s most pronounced (his nickname was squidhead at school and he was very happy when the 70s happened so boys could grow their hair long).

CostaAddict Fri 03-Feb-17 21:57:00

My son had a very small soft spot at birth but had totally closed by two weeks. He had metopic craniosynostosis and needed surgery. He didn't have any noticeable ridges though.

Some babies do just have prominent ridges but I always say it's worth getting your baby checked over. Most likely they will check at his 6-8 week assessment. If concerned then they will arrange a follow up.

I hope everything works out ok. Congrats on your LO flowers

Tildasservant Fri 03-Feb-17 22:11:20

Hi my son had craniosynostosis
I remember being told the soft spot should be 2 fingers wide, my son had a very small soft spot when he was born and a noticeable ridge running from the front to the back of his head. He was diagnosed with saggital craniosynostosis.
I would get him checked out if not just for peace of mind I know I wouldn't rest until I knew for sure. You will know what you are dealing with then (if anything) rather than the uncertainty.
I'm here if you want to chat

strawberrypenguin Fri 03-Feb-17 22:14:12

I post for similar reasons Barbarian I did have MN but I don't think there are many with Cranio experience on here. From what we were told at John Radcliffe I think a fair amount of it went undiagnosed until relatively recently.

Hi Costa how's your DS now?

CostaAddict Fri 03-Feb-17 22:40:55

Hi strawberry

Lovely to hear from other cranio mums. I'm slightly new to mumsnet so have never posted previously about DS cranio. He's 7 now and doing fantastic. We are under a alder Hey and have yearly check ups till his next surgery. He had huge complications and as a result has metopic/trigonocephaly again.

I'm wary of scaring other posters so haven't posted much on other threads, especially those threads where a parent has concerns about possible cranio. But I'd love to chat as sometimes I feel really lonely/frustrated with this condition.

How is your DC?

strawberrypenguin Fri 03-Feb-17 23:09:08

Sorry to hear he needs another surgery costa did he have a strip/springs correction or a full CVR originally?
DS is 5 and is doing great. He came through surgery brilliantly and is enjoying school. We're on 2 yearly checks and have our next in April.

sj257 Sun 05-Feb-17 08:09:00

I feel so panicky about this now. I'm not sure what to do, I feel like I can't wait until his 6/8 week check I'll drive myself crazy before then.

sj257 Sun 05-Feb-17 08:41:53

Just wanted to add he was nearly 11lbs when he was born, so obviously has a big head, wondering if this is why, because it was a squeeze getting out when he was born?

strawberrypenguin Sun 05-Feb-17 10:17:15

Please don't worry about it too much sj (and I know that's far easier said than done) odds are he's fine.

We were an incredibly rare case where it was picked up in an anti natal scan. DS was at operated on until 13 months. Some hospitals do operate at 4-5 months but even then that gives you plenty of time IF there is a problem and as barbarian said not all cases need surgery anyway.

BarbarianMum Sun 05-Feb-17 10:19:23

If it's really stressing you out go and see your GP. But if he's otherwise we'll this is not a condition which is urgent (as in every second counts) so do try not to spoil these first precious weeks with worry.

An 11lb baby will always be a squeeze to be born btw, nothing to do with craniosynostosis. Ds2 was 10lb11oz and actually had quite a small head (a small head is more typical with craniosynostosis) and he was still a hell of a squeeze.

BarbarianMum Sun 05-Feb-17 10:20:27

Sorry, spellchecker mangled that. Should read: but if he's otherwise well ....

sj257 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:43:55

Thank you, this coupled with my anxiety is really upsetting me. I think what I meant about his size was that because he was big with a big head, is that why the ridge is visible because the plates have had to overlap to get him out? They commented on how big his head was while he was being born. The midwife is coming tomorrow so will have a chat through things with her. I really don't want this to spoil this time as I will never get it back. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now