Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Referral from school hearing test

(3 Posts)
Luckymummy22 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:42:47

My daughter had reception hearing test today and is getting referred for further investigation.
She had a bad cold last week and I'm wondering how much this could have affected it?
She did have a hearing test in the summer which she passed with only 1 slight weekness.

But she is having speech therapy and has had about 4 or 5 preforated ear drums although last one was probably 2 years ago.

Just wondering how common it is to fail this hearing test?

I have always suspected that her ear infections caused her speech delay even if hearing seemed ok last summer.

But I can't say I have noticed any issues with her hearing. X

Shootingstar2289 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:28:12

I'm no expert but I'm led to believe that failed hearing tests are common and often the second test will be passed. Like you said, she had a cold last week which could well of affected it.

My son has had quite a few hearing tests due to speech delay which were all clear. However, I remember a few years ago my sister (now age 11) did not pass her reception age hearing test but had a second test which was was fine.

Just remember, if she does have a hearing problem it's good that it's being dealt with. But if you haven't noticed any problems, I doubt there's nothing to worry about!

Good luck! 👍🏻😀

Witchend Thu 02-Feb-17 22:55:07

It's very common not to notice hearing problems.
Even though I know ds has hearing problems I wouldn't pick it up at times. He's not having ear infections/perforated ear drums like he used to, but his hearing is often below 30%.

Most likely is glue ear, so it will fluctuate anyway, but it is worth investigating anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now