Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sickness bug help...

(6 Posts)
lisaneedsarest Wed 01-Feb-17 10:31:14

My DS (9) has a sickness bug, he is the same every time he has one. They last a whole week and he is sick every day regardless of how it affects anyone else. This one started at 11.30pm Monday night, he was sick 6 times during the night and then probably a further 6 times yesterday. He has not eaten anything since dinner Monday eve. He was sipping water and squash during the day. The sickness stopped for a few hours from about 5pm to 3am, since 3 am he has been being sick/dry retching roughly every 20 mins. I've been giving him sips of water, bouillon (to replace the salts) and lucozade for sugars. He brings them all back up without fail.
I know it will pass but does anyone have any advice to ease it? Or when to seek medical help... don't want to either pass it on to others or take him anywhere unnecessarily but also hate to see him suffer so much.

lisaneedsarest Wed 01-Feb-17 10:52:30

Anyone?

littlemimosa Wed 01-Feb-17 19:47:09

So sorry to hear about your son lisa. It's awful when they're vomitting, you have my sympathies. It's nerve wrecking and exhausting for all.
How is he now?
I would say you should at least get a call-back from your GP or 111 service. GPs don't like you taking them in with sickness but you need to talk to a doctor because of the risk of dehydration. I know this because my DD ended up in hospital once on an IV drip from a bad, recurring sickness bug. Children are particularly susceptible to dehydration.
Hope it passes soon x

Badders123 Wed 01-Feb-17 20:41:59

CLEAR FLUIDS ONLY
DIORALYTE

Stop giving him boullion fgs!

Happydappy1 Thu 02-Feb-17 08:26:37

Hello,

My DD used to be like this (still is a bit but improved). We discovered because of so many sickness bugs she had become lactose intolerant. We ended up in hospital with her on IV drip and they told us in future to cut out all lactose / dairy for the foreseeable future. This has helped a lot in the duration of the bugs. Previously we would have a day of being 'off' then 3-4 days of constant / regular vomiting then 2-3 days of tummy cramps etc and we realised any tiny bit of dairy was extending this. I am sure you're not obviously giving him dairy but check everything (e.g. Ritz crackers contain milk). We were also told to give sugary drinks and calpol and even if they are vomited up it's better than having nothing / just water when they get to the point where they have no energy. We stick to this now and the bugs have got a lot shorter and we get a lot less of the stomach ache etc. Basically she seems to react more like her friends and DD2 (usually vomits once or twice, is off food for a day or two and then back to normal).

I really feel for you though as it's horrible for everyone and they seem so poorly with it.

lisaneedsarest Thu 02-Feb-17 13:14:55

Thanks all, he has finally stopped being sick, I spoke to the gp last night and again this morning. He was managing to sip fluids all day so thankfully we kept proper dehydration at bay - god knows how as he was sick so many times.
He very rarely had dairy anyway but it might be something worth looking at for the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now