Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toothache - is it too late for DD?!

(7 Posts)
TeaMuncher Tue 31-Jan-17 18:08:45

My DD is 3.5 and today has been complaining that her 'tongue hurts' when she started crying tonight, I asked her to point to where it hurt, she pointed at her back tooth 😱.

I have several confessions, which include being quite lax on the tooth brushing front (she only brushes once a day in the evening), she drinks (very) diluted apple juice because she WILL NOT drink water, she generally has a great diet, but we have recently had another baby and DH/ PIL have been looking after her a lot and giving her a lot of 'treats' (iced buns/ kinder eggs/ smoothies) as well 🙄. So frustrating because I am spread so thinly with a very demanding new DS and I feel like I've let her down massively.

Is there a way back from here? Or is that tooth a goner? Has anyone else had a positive outcome from toothache? I.e. If I brush twice a day (--and cut down the 'treats'--) is there any hope?!

Feel terrible 😢

TeaMuncher Tue 31-Jan-17 20:04:41

PS. Has anyone used mouthwash on a DC this young?

PacificDogwod Tue 31-Jan-17 20:08:26

Take her to see her dentist.

Ibuprofen in the meantime is good for tooth ache.

Electric toothbrush and good high fluoride toothpaste.

If the tooth's a goner (IF!), then that is that for that tooth. Her new teeth will come through healthy when the time comes, but you must teach a decant dental hygiene routine by then.

No idea about mouthwash other than that the blue kids' stuff we bought for DSs that turns any plaque blue was turned down point blank by all 4 of my kids! grin

Reality16 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:10:16

She pointed at her back tooth and you are assuming a problem with decay. Its entirely possible she had a mouth ulcer or abcess on her gum at the back. Get her to a dentist.

jesterkat Tue 31-Jan-17 20:17:00

How many teeth does she have at the bottom? Could she be getting her last baby molars late? They would be the 9th and 10th to come through on the bottom

TeaMuncher Wed 01-Feb-17 00:21:05

Thanks all.

Jester hmm it's a possibility, but I'm sure she's already got these. I'll have another count up.

She could have been pointing to her gum at the back. What's best? More brushing or get on the mouthwash too?

TeaMuncher Wed 01-Feb-17 00:23:48

PS. Will try in the morning for a dentist app. But don't hold out much hope for a quick one 😕

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now