Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High temp, poss rigour - Dr?

(11 Posts)
physicsisfun Tue 31-Jan-17 06:56:17

My DD (2) has had a v high temp (up to 39 at times) for 36 hours. Thought it was just yet another winter virus but I've noticed over last couple of hours,short bursts of shivering/shaking. It's definitely not febrile convulsions, I think it's rigour? I don't want to drag her out unwell to the doctors for nothing but unsure.Should we go? I hate wasting an appointment just to be told "it's a virus" as she's ok, sad but responsive and drinking plenty,eating a little.

Should we go?

BingoBingoBingoBango Tue 31-Jan-17 11:26:11

Is it coming down in between? I wouldn't necessarily if she's eating and drinking, having wet nappies and isn't having any breathing problems. If she's miserable I would give calpol.

Oly5 Tue 31-Jan-17 11:27:54

Of course you should go.
Kids can deteriorate quickly.
People waste GP appointments for far less than this. Better to be safe than sorry

gazingatthestars Tue 31-Jan-17 19:38:32

Kids shiver and shake by their bodies generating heat for their temp.
I'd only go to the doctors if the temp wasn't coming down with calpol/ibuprofen but if you are worried you should go.

shewolfmum Wed 01-Feb-17 00:05:15

We have rigour especially when she was wee. We have shakes too sometimes. Horrid to watch. Skin to skin. I don't medicate unless in pain...she is normally just out of it a bit with her fever so normal unless floppy...or you suspect otherwise.

physicsisfun Wed 01-Feb-17 07:19:32

Thanks everyone who replied. Her temp kept spiking higher - over 40 so I got her seen and she was admitted. They're still not certain but think it is just a bad virus.

Iamastonished Wed 01-Feb-17 07:23:06

It could be a urine infection. And that can't be ruled out unless she is tested for one. DD used to present like this with UTIs and ended up in hospital more than once with this. I would try and get a sample and take your daughter to the GP with it. Untreated UTIs can be very serious indeed.

physicsisfun Wed 01-Feb-17 07:29:28

Yes iamastonished Im sat here with one of those funnel pot things trying to get a sample as they want to rule that out. I feel like there's something as she's always burned out a viral fever quickly before and this is now been 3 nights and 2 days. Any tips on sample collection? She freaks when I bring it near. Would a swim nappy catch some? (Im getting desperate) she's just laid down dozing on and off. Temp back near 40 and just had paracetamol again. Thanks

Haudyerwheesht Wed 01-Feb-17 07:33:18

They should have bags which stick to the skin and collect urine. Also one doctor used sterile cotton wool in the nappy and rung out with Dd....

Iamastonished Wed 01-Feb-17 07:51:36

Sorry, cross posted. When DD was a baby they used one of those bags that stick to the skin.

The good news is that once they know what they are dealing with the antibiotics work very quickly. I hope your DD feels better soon.

gazingatthestars Wed 01-Feb-17 08:48:47

How is she op? Hope you all got a bit of sleep last night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now