Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 year old and tonsillectomy - any advice/reassurance?

(16 Posts)
mzlouise Mon 30-Jan-17 13:41:51

My 5 year old is getting his tonsils removed next week. When I was told he would need it done, I felt quite relieved that hopefully we'll have an end to the constant infections and sickness but now I'm getting more and more nervous about it.

Anyone have any words of advice/reassurance for me? Of course since it was decided he needed it done, he's had the best run of health he's had in a year and I'm dreading that it'll make him so unwell.

Thanks in advance :-)

IndigoSister Mon 30-Jan-17 13:51:18

My son had his removed, along with his adenoids at age 3. He stayed in hospital over night (we didn't live in the UK then). Most important was keeping up with pain relief, my son refused all the oral pain Meg's so we used suppositories and they really were a lifesaver. It's also important to keep on top of fluids so things like watermelon, lollies etc are great. After about a week the scabs start to get sore so you may have a period of things looking on the mend then a dip again, completely normal.

pullingmyhairout1 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:53:18

Same for my daughter at 2. He'll be fine. You'll be a blubbering mess at operation time if you're anything like me.

mzlouise Mon 30-Jan-17 13:59:52

Thanks IndigoSister, he's normally good about taking medicines - has taken some really rotten antibiotics well, so am hoping this isn't a problem. Thanks for the warning re the dip, will look out for it. He's definitely being kept in first night so I'll be with him.

And yes, pullingmyhairout1, I'm sure I will be an absolute wreck :-)

Stuffedshirt Mon 30-Jan-17 14:00:42

My son had it done when he was four, along with adenoids. It's heartbreaking for you worrying before and when they go into theatre. They'll probably let you stay with him until he's asleep and when you leave him, you'll be upset.

The good news is, it's a minor op, they've done millions before and they recover amazingly quickly. Bless you, it'll be fine honestly. flowers

Xocaraic Mon 30-Jan-17 14:32:11

My daughter had hers out (and adenoids) at 3.5y. She was unwell constantly before that (18 AntiBs in 12 months)
The she went in day 1 afternoon, operation day 2 am, discharge day 3 noon.
I second the pain relief and would suggest a period of 'quarantine' after op if the op is soon. Given all the bugs that are around currently. The two weeks after can be a bit challenging to get them to eat etc. But it's manageable
My daughter is ten now and she has had zero illness (not even tummy bug or cough) since her operation. It is a life changer!

Badders123 Mon 30-Jan-17 15:06:52

Pain relief!!
Every 3 hours even overnight - wake him
Lots of fluids - careful of fruit juice as it will sting
Also avoid dairy
Just normal food
Good luck c

mzlouise Mon 30-Jan-17 15:29:50

Did anyone have problems with post op bleeding? Just got a leaflet through from his consultant and it mentions 1 in 20 need readmitted - I didn't realise it was so many.

I really hope I can get him to eat.

Badders123 - I haven't heard to avoid dairy. Why is that? One of his comfort foods when he has a sore throat is porridge.

Great to hear that it made such a difference to your little ones. He can't have adenoids out (due to another issue he has), so I'm really hoping that doesn't compromise the success of the op. Consultant doesn't think so, so I guess I have to believe him!

Badders123 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:24:58

No bleeding issues here - I read the Info too and worried myself silly 😞
Dairy promotes production of mucus...not a good idea.

heavenlypink Mon 30-Jan-17 16:31:06

I had my tonsils out aged 10. I was the 1 in 20 who had bleeding. I've never heard or met anyone else who did. I can remember all the 'younger kids' bouncing in their beds hours after their op though - after a cuddle off mum of course

BingoBingoBingoBango Mon 30-Jan-17 18:08:44

I would recommend waking overnight for pain relief. Normal diet.

Footle Mon 30-Jan-17 18:19:32

If he's unhappy at the prospect of the op, tell him there will be a present waiting for him when he has properly woken up. Either a surprise, or something he already wants. It can make a huge difference and doesn't have to be a big present.

mzlouise Tue 31-Jan-17 18:01:58

Thank you for the replies. Going to just take it a day at a time and have loads of pain relief. Good idea to get him a preset too, although he's not at all afraid but might feel a bit different after he wakes up!

123rd Tue 31-Jan-17 18:17:44

My DC had bilateral grommets in, & tonsils & adenoids out when they were about 2.5-3 yrs old.
Was in quite a bit of pain after wards and did have to have a pain relief suppository
Was fine by the next evening and actually asked for crisps to eat after one afternoon at home!

mzlouise Thu 02-Feb-17 12:55:04

Am keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't pick up a cold between now and Tuesday. We seem to be surrounded by sick people and he was sneezing a bit this morning - the leaflet says they may cancel the op if he gets a cold or sore throat the week before. So now worried it WON'T go ahead rather than that it will!

mzlouise Mon 06-Feb-17 15:10:12

His op has been cancelled due to tonsillitis :-(

He's on a 10 day course and antibiotics and we are waiting for it to be rescheduled. Hopefully not too long after he finishes the course.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: