Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Five year old temp of 39

(5 Posts)
byronhinson Mon 30-Jan-17 13:21:39

My daughter seems to have a heavy cold. Cough. Bunged up etc and although she didn't have a temp the first day. Today when she woke it was 39.1. Calpol brought it down to 38 but as that wears off it's on its way up again

Is this normal. She is fine in herself apart from being tired and the cough.

WhirlwindHugs Mon 30-Jan-17 13:22:56

Yes I'd say so. Hope she feels better soon.

Iambubbles86 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:25:15

39.1 isn't that bad for a 5 year old especially if calpol is bringing it down. Normal for it to rise between doses. You can alternate between calpol and ibuprofen as long as you monitor doses carefully if you have to but if shes not uncomfortable then I would let the temp do its job as its there as a result of body fighting infection rather than an actual symptom iyswim? Temp should return to normal within a few days flowers

byronhinson Mon 30-Jan-17 14:26:33

Thanks - It goes down to 38.2-38.4 with calpol. As you say - I should probably leave it to help her get better rather than give her the Calpol to make her feel better for a bit.

Iambubbles86 Mon 30-Jan-17 14:34:36

If she needs it for pain/feeling uncomfortabke let her have it but if she's not bothered by the temp then Dont give it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now