Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

22m DD's nose - WWYD

(15 Posts)
shmoopie Sat 28-Jan-17 15:57:43

DD is 22m. She has had a horrible snotty cold for a week now. We've been wiping her nose only in the bath or with a baby wipe/wet cloth. Her nose was fine then was red on weds eve, then came up like it is in the pic on Thurs. (Picture is poor - sorry. But basically she has a sore on the side of her nose) I've put sudocrem on it but it's not getting any better. Dm has mentioned that she was regularly wiping Dd's nose with tissue (would like to point out I am not blaming dm here!) But she was only looking after her for 3hours, I find it hard to believe that this is the result of having her nose wiped 'regularly' in 3 hours.

Anyway, my question is- is it worth seeing a gp or pharmacist about?

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 28-Jan-17 15:59:52

Not sure if you need to see a gp or not but I can recommend tissues with aloe vera for snotty little noses! Might help prevent it happening again.

Florin Sat 28-Jan-17 16:08:34

Change to proper old fashioned hankies they are much kinder on the nose. Definitely avoid baby wipes they will sting. Put some suocream regularly on it particularly after she has gone to sleep. Well that is what we did to cure the same problem with our ds.

BumWad Sat 28-Jan-17 22:29:32

I would put some germolene on it and as above use a hanky or muslin type thing to wipe noses.

I also religiously put diprobase on DS (20 months) nose when he's snotty

Willialwaysbelookeddownon Sat 28-Jan-17 22:30:11

I'd go to a pharmacist. It could be impetigo?

Pooka Sat 28-Jan-17 22:31:36

Keep an eye on it. If it looks crusty, could be impetigo? Not convinced it looks related to wiping with a tissue.

Pooka Sat 28-Jan-17 22:33:19

If you'd like a second opinion I'd recommend pharmacist as first point of call rather than GP. Sudocrem should clear it up unless is impetigo, where recommendation is to try and avoid pushing creams around to stop spread.

Pooka Sat 28-Jan-17 22:33:52

X post times 2 smile

shmoopie Sat 28-Jan-17 22:36:14

Thanks for the replies

Sudocrem doesn't seem to be doing much so will ask a pharmacist first before seeing gp. It's still early days so may clear up on its own anyway

Thanks

Laineymc7 Sat 28-Jan-17 22:36:25

Always use a muslin to wipe runny noses. Also use loads of Vaseline as a barrier cream as this stops the nose getting red. If that is a scab I'd see the gp. I'd just keep it clean and dry.

Summerisdone Sat 28-Jan-17 22:36:36

I wipe DS's nose with tissue all the time because wipes end up leaving it chapped and then he gets sores on his nose. Continue with the sudocrem but stop using wet wipes and when wiping it in the bath dab it dry afterwards and you will probably find it heals quickly

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 28-Jan-17 22:38:15

GP asap as that looks like impetigo which can spread very quickly. Make sure she has her own towel and you do lots of hand washing.

BertrandRussell Sat 28-Jan-17 22:40:31

I wouldn't use wet wipes for runny noses. If you have an old sheet or something you can cut up and use then throw away that's the best option. Next best- tissues.

jinglestheelf Sat 28-Jan-17 22:41:40

My 3 year olds nose has been like that this week, covered it in Vaseline as often as possible and it's nearly cleared up.

Camelsinthegobi Sun 29-Jan-17 19:53:41

Definitely don't use wet wipes on runny noses. There's weird stuff in them and you want the area kept dry. Tissues or warm water on a muslin/flannel if too crusty, and vaseline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now