Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ravitch procedure for pectus carinatum

(1 Post)
mycatwantstokillme1 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:05:52

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help. My son (now 17) was born prematurely, has a number of health problems. He has a deformed chest (slang term is pigeon chest, correct term pectus carinatum). He never wanted surgery to correct it, but we went to Great Ormond regularly to keep an eye on it and to make sure it wasn't cauding any problems with his heart and lungs. But for the last year he's been really self conscious about it. He's now too old to be seen at GOSH so he had his first appointment at Barts today.

We saw the surgeon today who was very laid back and said they could do the operation next May when he's finished college. And that the best surgery for him would be the Ravitch procedure. I know through looking up the different corrective surgeries for this, they are all very painful and the recovery time is really painful. Personally, I don't want him to do it (he had so many ops and stays in hospitals as a baby I don't want him to go through any more). But I also understand that it's not my chest, and it it's making him feel self conscious it has to be his decision.

Does anyone here know anyone who's had the surgery? I just want to know first hand if someone who's had it done is glad they had it done, would they go through it again and was the pain and recovery really bad?

I just can't bear the thought of anything happenning to him and the pain he'll be in afterwards. He's already been through so much in his life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now