Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is this? Gut feeling

(21 Posts)
99percentchocolate Fri 27-Jan-17 18:40:54

My DS (8 months) came down with a rash yesterday morning in his nappy area. Within an hour it had spread to his torso. An hour after that it covered his whole body. It is still there (so about 36 hours in now)
No fever
Irritable and letting out random screams but also having happier moments
Red rings around the eyes
Had a runny/blocked nose earlier in the week but no other cold symptoms
Difficulty sleeping (the last three nights he has woken every 20 mins or so screaming)
Vomiting yesterday

Out of hours ruled out meningitis yesterday and said it was viral.

My gut feeling is telling me something isn't right, but I don't know what it is. Could it be measles? His sister slipped and fell on top of him a couple of days ago when he was having his nappy changed and landed on his torso. He cried but seemed fine after a couple of minutes. I consulted a dr friend of mine and she wasn't concerned.

Is this just a nasty virus or should I be taking him to the walk in again?

123bananas Fri 27-Jan-17 18:46:09

You can have a rash with a virus. Quite common in children. Not necessarily measles. If OOH have ruled out meninigitis ie rash is blanching and no other signs then I wouldn't be worried.

Even without a fever he may be in discomfort, have you tried giving paracetamol or ibuprofen when he seems miserable?

superking Fri 27-Jan-17 18:46:12

What does the rash look like? My initial thoughts would be that as he has no fever, does not seem overly distressed or poorly, and has been seen by a doctor then he is probably fine and it is a virus, just as they said.

99percentchocolate Fri 27-Jan-17 18:50:50

Pic of rash should be attached. He doesn't seem himself at all, that's why I'm thinking something isn't right.

gazingatthestars Fri 27-Jan-17 19:09:20

The symptoms seem harmless but you should listen to your gut if it's telling you to still be worried and take him back. Mothers instinct a powerful thing!

EpoxyResin Fri 27-Jan-17 19:10:41

Does he have any food allergies? Any teeth coming through?

Objectively based on what you've described my guess would also be viral... BUT... I cannot overrule your gut feeling, and 100% I wouldn't want to encourage you to either. I have a notoriously wonky gut feeling and on the few occasions I've sat in A&E with ds, the worst that's come of it is that we've stayed the night. For that I am extremely grateful, but I wouldn't have not gone, and it won't stop me going in future. If you really are worried, even if you're wrong, you're probably best off sitting the next however many hours in an A&E waiting room with your baby, or on the phone to 111 or whatever. Not very PC with the state of the NHS at the moment I know, but in all honestly that's what I think. Listen to your gut. It doesn't mean your gut will be right, but it's the best you can do by your child.

LonelyImSoLonely Fri 27-Jan-17 19:11:26

Babies can be seen by doctors and legitimately be well and the doctor has been right in there is nothing wrong, at that time, not predicting the future . AlwYs advised to go back if things changed. If you're worried ask for advice/phone OOH again if he's different

gazingatthestars Fri 27-Jan-17 19:11:58

Ps although he doesn't have temp is he particularly cold?

JennyOnAPlate Fri 27-Jan-17 19:12:13

Listen to your gut. No one will tell you off for taking an 8m old to be checked again flowers

Lunar1 Fri 27-Jan-17 19:12:28

My children get an identical post viral rash which looks the same pretty often. If you have any doubt though get a second opinion.

gazingatthestars Fri 27-Jan-17 19:13:52

Ps if you go to out of hours you'll likely just get them tell you virus again - he probably needs his pulse, bp and sats measured and stuff which a lot of gps can't do. Consider going to a and e if you get very worried as they'll be able to do different tests. Ooh good first though.

99percentchocolate Fri 27-Jan-17 19:14:35

Thanks all. He is teething at the moment with one just about to cut through. Do they get teething rashes all over their body though?

gazingatthestars Fri 27-Jan-17 19:15:24

No - this isn't teething...

GizmoFrisby Fri 27-Jan-17 19:17:23

Op doctors aren't always right the first time. I would take him back if he was mine. I can sometimes over react with ilnesses but think it's better to be safe than sorry

EpoxyResin Fri 27-Jan-17 19:18:06

Do they get teething rashes all over their body though?

No, I don't think so, but that might explain the random outbursts of pain and general off-ness (if it's a similar off-ness) in addition to the rash. I only ask because ds recently had a post-viral rash with no temperature... then started screaming in pain for hours on end; I was beside myself with worry! ...then I realised a molar had cut through, completely unrelated to the rash. Didn't stop me spending the night in hospital though having had him looked at in A&E who were equally concerned by his suffering!

EpoxyResin Fri 27-Jan-17 19:18:39

Note: I still took him to be checked out

Angryangryyoungwoman Fri 27-Jan-17 19:21:47

I took my daughter with a similar rash to be checked out and I was told it was viral. Although this does also look similar to the rash she had when she had foot and mouth. Let a doctor decide, not the Internet though...

Blossomdeary Fri 27-Jan-17 19:22:13

A mother's gut instinct is not to be ignored. My OH was a GP and always said this. Perhaps your DS should be seen again..

Reality16 Fri 27-Jan-17 19:30:47

he doesn't seem himself at all, that's why I'm thinking something isn't right.. Something isn't right though, he has a virus, he won't 'be himself' he is unwell. I don't see anything in your post that would make me think he needed to be seen abian, and certainly not In A&E.

Obviously I am not a doctor, but from a parents POV I wo

Reality16 Fri 27-Jan-17 19:31:13

*would happily accept the doctors diagnosis of a virus

gazingatthestars Sun 29-Jan-17 20:54:59

Is your ds feeling better now op? Fingers crossed your worry was misplaced x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now