Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cannot use Munchkin latch miracle cup for more than a month. Waste of money! And potentially dangerous to toddlers health

(28 Posts)
user1485532569 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:14:28

I am absolutely infuriated that upon opening my 2 year olds miracle cup I found bits of black bits floating around in the water. Only God knows how long his been consuming the black mould build up on the underside of the rubber lid! When cleaning the cup i rarely pay attention, i just chuck any remaining water straight down the sink but on this one occassion I decided I was going to give my son some juice and to my disgust I see huge bits of mould in the water! I thought this may be a one off however I bought another munchkin latch bottle ( yes I bought another one! Not for my son obviously, but to test out this mould situation) i filled up the cup and drank from it myself leaving a small amount of water in the cup overnight, after about 2 weeks the mould started to emerge! And its been a month and the mould build up is horrible (obviously I stopped drinking out of it once i noticed the mould) mould/mold however you spell it. Im just really disapointed and want to warn others out there! As im sure long term usuage of this cup will evidently affect the child drinking from it! Black mold can not be good for you!!!!! Any one else experienced this problem ?

user1485532569 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:16:18

Here are the photos of his bottle and the one I purchased afterwards

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Fri 27-Jan-17 16:17:47

Where you not removing the blue bit when you washed it? All sippy cups need taking apart when washing and leaving to dry before putting them back together.

gassylady Fri 27-Jan-17 16:18:39

What does the packaging say about how often to clean?

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Fri 27-Jan-17 16:20:20

I have that cup before I'm pretty confident the packaging explains to remove the blue bit. It even has a part in the centre that you push down on the get it back together.

Ladybirdtinselturd Fri 27-Jan-17 16:21:28

It is fairly obvious you take it apart to wash it! Did you read the packaging?

HayleyIsMyNemesis Fri 27-Jan-17 16:21:38

You need to pull the blue bit off to wash it up properly every time. That's what the instructions say. TBH all spill proof cups with rubber bits are exactly the same.

TheCaptainsCat Fri 27-Jan-17 16:22:03

Why didn't you clean under the rubber rim? It states you need to in the instructions!

HayleyIsMyNemesis Fri 27-Jan-17 16:22:28

PS it can all (once separated) go on the top rack of the dishwasher

NerrSnerr Fri 27-Jan-17 16:22:33

I just looked at their website and it says 'removable valve for easy cleaning'. You're supposed to take it apart to clean it!

NannyR Fri 27-Jan-17 16:23:56

The instructions tell you how to disassemble the lid for cleaning, they are available on the website.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 27-Jan-17 16:24:05

Do you not pull that bit off each day when you wash it/put it in the dishwasher hmm?

bonnymnemonic Fri 27-Jan-17 16:27:42

I'm not surprised there's mould under there if you never remove the silicone for cleaning! It's not even fiddly to do.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Fri 27-Jan-17 16:30:36

Are you leaving it wet? After every use it needs to be washed thoroughly with hot soapy water, rinsed in fresh water and then dried. And you should use a little brush to clean the spout.

If you leave anything wet for two weeks mould will grow on it.

Twistmeandturnme Fri 27-Jan-17 16:30:59

Dear God! you fed your child for 2 months without washing their cup out properly envy <--not jealousy.
Yuk!

orangepudding Fri 27-Jan-17 16:35:57

I'm not surprised it went mouldy, cups like that need drying thoroughly. Water bottle that my kids take to school also go like this if not washed properly (or are left in school\locker\school bag for ages).

wonkylegs Fri 27-Jan-17 16:38:30

Sounds like you need to review how you clean it but also there is a lot of paranoia about 'black mold' read this it explains quite well what is normal and ok and what's more serious https://www.facebook.com/thefriendlybiologist/posts/1885932068359837

Soubriquet Fri 27-Jan-17 16:41:20

hmm

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 27-Jan-17 16:42:42

The instructions for this cup are pretty straightforward
All they say it take apart for cleaning.
Reassemble after cleaning.

It's not like there are screeds of stuff to read through!

I binned my coffee travel mug (the adult version of a sippy cup!) because it DIDN'T come apart for cleaning

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 27-Jan-17 16:44:57

Exactly Breakfast the reason I like this cup is how easy it is to take apart to clean!

JellyBert Fri 27-Jan-17 16:45:07

That's disgusting. I cannot believe you didn't take it apart to clean it. We have 4 of these cups, they are the best cups out there! I take them apart every day and put them top rack of the dishwasher.
You didn't properly clean it??!!

TheFairyCaravan Fri 27-Jan-17 16:50:38

Why would you not wash a cup between uses? confused

steppemum Fri 27-Jan-17 17:05:14

so, the replacement cup - you bought a cup, used it, and then didn't wash it for 2 weeks and you are surprised it grew mould?

My china tea cup would grow mold if left unwashed for 2 weeks!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 27-Jan-17 17:35:34

Practically anything moist will grow mould if let long enough.
I left a glass of water by spare bed after I slept in there (snoring DH!)
Forgot all about it then went in the for something and discovered green mould in the old waterconfused

peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 27-Jan-17 23:14:40

This cannot be for real shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now